Out of the Dust This Common Core-aligned novel unit will allow your students to focus on all the important concepts in the novel, section by section, along with vocabulary, writing, and a web quest to acquaint them with historical background on the Dust Bowl.
This product contains:
1. NOVEL RESPONSE PAGES - (sequenced by sections/seasons) - On attractive, ready-to-use pages, students respond to prompts aligned to the Common Core reading standards regarding setting, characters, important plot details, mood, imagery, point of view, figurative language and meaning, inferences, and development of theme. Students are drawn back to the text to “close read,” which enhances comprehension.
2. WEB QUEST - A pre-reading short research activity to acquaint students with the 1930's Dust Bowl setting - Students read informational text from several web sites and record notes and reactions.
3. 10 Journal-style FREE-WRITES - Attractive slides with thought-provoking prompts based on the text - Great discussion starters! Includes Free-writes Log for student responses.
4. 6 student-ready VOCABULARY pages focusing on 30 challenging words from the novel
5. An end-of-novel "DETERMINING THEMES" graphic organizer, which leads students from thinking about “theme topics” in the novel to determining the author’s themes for the reader
6. PLOTLINE CHART - Students analyze plot structure on a creative handout by charting details from the novel for Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution. The definition for each of these literary terms is visible on the handout!
7. OBJECTIVE SUMMARY - Students practice summarizing skills for a short section of text: Summer 1935. This activity is directly aligned with CCSS RL.2
8. TYPES OF CONFLICT - A graphic organizer where students identify a conflict and explain how it was resolved for each type: Man vs. Man, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Society, and Man vs. Self.
9. A creative "FRIENDLY LETTER" NARRATIVE WRITING assignment that can be used once you are well into the novel or at its end
10. A WRITING RUBRIC for grading the Friendly Letter Narrative Writing Assignment
11. A 40-item short TEST (characters, settings, events, and vocab) is provided for use at the end of the novel.
12. ANSWER KEYS ARE PROVIDED for the Student Response Pages, Web Quest, Vocabulary Pages, Determining Theme organizer, Plotline Chart, Types of Conflict, and Test.
13. TEACHER GUIDE and COMMON CORE STANDARDS- Specific guidelines for teaching the novel and using these materials with students are provided.
If you are looking for student materials that are engaging, student-friendly, Common Core-aligned, and address a variety of skills, this product will be a useful resource!
Please download the PREVIEW to get a look at the style of my product.
(This is a 74-page product: 45 pages for students, 26 pages of Answer Keys, plus a 3-page Teacher Guide)
Thank you, Joy Sexton
You might also like:
Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing
Task Cards for Better Writing: BUNDLE
Figurative Language Stations - Common Core
ELA Assessment and Test Review MINI-BOOK - Grades 6-7-8 Common Core
---Click to receive My Newsletter
with Teaching Tips and FREEBIES!