Common Core Aligned Activities
• RL.5.1 – Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
• RL.5.2 – Determine a theme of a story from details in the text, including how characters in a story respond to challenges; summarize the text.
• RL.5.3 – Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story drawing on specific details in the text.
• RL.5.4 – Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
• RL.5.6 – Describe how a narrator’s point of view influences how events are described.
• RL.5.9 – Compare and contrast stories in the same genre.
Word Placement Activity -- How authors use free verse
Point of View Writing Assignment -- Writing from another character's point of view
Summarizing Text -- Using SWBS chart to summarize
Character Description Activity -- Quoting text to make inferences about character traits
Cause and Effect Activity
Double Timeline Activity
Determining Theme Anchor Chart and Activities
Figurative Language Interpretation Activities
Man Vs. Nature: Nature as Antagonist
Sensory Language Activity
Analyzing Character Activities
Comparing Characters, Genres, and Setting with Venn Diagrams
Three Sets of Text Dependent Questions (Total of 30 questions for the novel)
8 Internet Research Task Cards for Technology/Research Center
20 Vocabulary Cards with Page Numbers and Used in Context
Head of the Class Word Association Game (24 characters)