Outer Space Unit! This 190 page outer space unit is stacked to the moon with materials that are great for teaching about the amazing things out there in space. This Common Core unit is a cross curricular unit that covers elements of science, math, and literacy/language arts! Check out what’s inside!
There’s No Place Like Space includes:
5 LESSON PLANS
Each have objectives, goals, materials lists, procedures, sample photos, rubrics for assessment, student self-assessments, and parent letters to send home. Also, following each lesson I included a total of 17 suggested extension activity ideas, crafts, and websites to visit.
STUDENT OUTER SPACE BOOK
This 30 page student space book is targeted towards the science elements of this unit. In this space book students draw pictures, write facts, fill in a vocabulary chart, read information about space and more while they work through this unit! This space book is a great way for you to monitor each student's learning!
1. Ordering Numbers – What comes before, after, and in between? A hands-on way to practice counting by 2's, 5's 10's, and 3's. (blanks included)
2. Aliens From Mars – Students help the aliens get back to Mars by using their knowledge of even/odd, 10 more, and 10 less.)
3. Roaring Rockets – A game involving finding the sum of two numbers
4. Ten Frame Slapjack – A game using ten frames (10 frames provided)
5. Ten Frame Go Fish – A game using ten frames (10 frames provided, two different sets included for differentiation)
6. Measuring for NASA - Measuring objects using paperclips and/or rulers
7. Tick Tock Astronaut Clock - Drawing hour hands and minute hands to the quarter hour and to the nearest 5 minutes (2 versions to allow you to differentiate)
8. Matching Clocks - Sorting activity for telling time practice (2 versions to allow you to differentiate)(blanks included)
9. Alien Secret Message – Help crack the alien’s secret message by solving the addition and subtraction problems (3 versions to allow you to differentiate)
10. Out of this World Word Problems – Using addition and subtraction (3 versions to allow you to differentiate)
11. Greater Than, Less Than, Equal To – Using inequality signs (2 versions included to allow you to differentiate)
1. Asteroid Blends – Help the astronauts stop the asteroids from hitting Earth in this literacy center
2. Vroom, Vroom, to the Moon –5 short and long vowel games, one for each vowel, a, e, i, o, and u.
3. Spacey Syllables – Sorting picture cards by syllables
4. Making Words – How many words can you make out of "planets"?
5. Galaxy Grammar – Edit sentences in a letter to an astronaut
6. Unscramble the Universe – Unscrambling space words
7. Far Out Fact & Opinion - Determining facts and opinions
1. Alien Craftivity
2. Moon Phase Book (with original poem) - Students observe the moon at night and draw and record its changes
3. “Planets In Space” original song
4. Planets Mini Poster
5. Themed Word Wall Words
6. Suggested Books, Websites, and Videos
Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to contact me with any questions! My email is firstname.lastname@example.org