owls: life cycles: writing: science: mini lessons: essential questions: oral language
Owl Life Cycle Close Reading, Writing, Mini Lessons and Activities Kindergarten & First Grade
This life cycle owl unit is the complete and perfect companion to any of your fiction or non-fiction owl literature.
Included are stand alone lessons for teaching life cycle, close reading, visual literacy along with
multiple extended activities and mini lessons. Balanced literacy activities for integrating reading,
writing, science, speaking & listening. (Multiple cross content objectives covered!)
• Owl Life Cycle Poster (3 options/color/blackline/blank for students to label)
• Owl Life Cycle Retelling felt figures and task card (oral language sequencing, and storytelling)
• Owl Life Cycle Story Sticks for creating, sequencing and retelling.
• Vocabulary Cards (also for use with write the room)
• Owl Life Cycle Write the Room recording sheet
• Owl Life Cycle writing prompts (perfect for differentiating sub groups)
• Owl Life Cycle mini word wall
• Everything you need to start doing Listening Comprehension and / or Close Reading with your Kindergarten or
• First Grade students (also great for RTI, ELL and resource classes). No experience or other texts necessary!
• LOTS of directions, insights, how-to’s and why’s for both Listening Comprehension and Close Reading!
Original passage, deliberately loaded with rich vocabulary, the content is designed to assist
in integrated instruction about Owl Life Cycle
•Procedures and tips for Listening Comprehension and Close Reading with Kindergarten and First Grade
(Cheat Sheet for each day) with tips for facilitating great “partner talk”!
•Common Core aligned question stems for facilitating oral language and conversations rich in content vocabulary
•Ideas, rationale, and implementation suggestions for Listening Comprehension & Close Reading extension activities
•Student annotation page (with passage) 2 options
•Student writing prompt pages for each of the Close Reading Passages (3 options for each passage)
•Flap Books Writing extension for each passage
•Text dependent questions for each Close Reading Passage
•Partner Talk Puppet for asking/answering questions about the text (with suggested uses)
•3 Minute Anchor Chart elements for class discussion annotating (takes 2 minutes to assemble!!)
•Full size photos for use with anchor chart or anything else! (2 sizes)
These lessons make wonderful resources for using during a formal or informal evaluation!
• WHAT??? Pictures: SUPER fun and engaging complete lessons for teaching visual literacy, also can be used as
a mini lesson!
• Mini Lesson Essential Questions
• Bulletin Board Ideas & Elements for print, cut & go Bulletin Boards!
• Talking cards for partner structures
• Science & Essential Question header
Thanks so much for visiting my store!
Little Bird Kindergarten
©2017 Pam Davidson Little Bird Kindergarten All Rights Reserved
Not for public display, single classroom use only.