P.A.L.S Reading Comprehension project by Miss Jean assists students in developing their reading comprehension skills and oral reading fluency. Students are paired together based on reading ability and take turns playing the role of coach or reader. The partners have a variety of self and peer assessments which will help them in this process. Students are taught to retell basic story elements and how to prompt and support their “pal”. In addition to allowing practice of reading strategies, P.A.L.S. improves self- monitoring and oral reading fluency. The process allows teachers to determine which reading skills may need further instruction.
The students focus on story elements (identifying main characters, setting, introduction, most important events, problem, solution and theme) as they demonstrate their ability to retell and comprehend a reading selection.
Included in this product are:
- Directions for the role of the reader, listener and teacher
- A reader self-assessment- allows students to focus on story elements and comprehension
- A listener (PAL) assessment- allows for immediate and specific feedback
- A teacher assessment of retell of basic story elements, comprehension and oral reading skills.
- A partner assessment which evaluates the process and ability to complete the tasks
You may also be interested in:
Literature Circles - Ready to Use Unit With Rubrics