Use this flow chart to visually explain the different types of writing students are expected to master in the 5th grade and how they may be used on the PARCC.
The chart includes:
1. The three types of writing: informative/explanatory, opinion, narrative.
2. Their different purposes (based off possible PARCC prompts).
3. The way each is organized.
4. The organizer students should use to plan their writing.*
5. The PARCC unit each type of writing might appear on.
*This document is editable. You may replace "CERCA" with a description of the organizer you teach students to use when planning essays. CERCA refers to the organizer used by the writing program, learn.thinkcerca.com.