This unit is a pre-algebra patterning unit designed for the middle years. The unit includes 15 pages of worksheets as well as all of the answers. Fits well with the Ontario grade 8 curriculum.
1) Introduces basic patterning concepts: intervals, extensions, steps, inputs and outputs.
2) Introduces students to finding formulae in terms of "n". They find general rules that can be used to extend a pattern to any step.
3) Students learn how to use multiples to extend repeating patterns.
4) Students graph patterns and are introduced to slope.
5) Students use patterning to problem solve.
6) Reviews concepts.
I've included a test with an answer key as well as a project that could be used as a second piece of assessment or an extension.
Some knowledge of integers and exponents is needed.