Griffin's book about a thirteen year old Black girl who saves George Washington, is a great read, especially for either Black History Month or Women in History. Works very well for both read-alouds and guided reading. This unit includes -
- Reading Comprehension questions - including many quotes - ANSWERS INCLUDED
Note: I've broken up the book into parts and titled each part: Introduction; The Spying Began; Things Happened Quickly.
- an accompanying vocabulary page, aligning with the three parts of the book.
- a quiz- fifteen items - multiple choice and complete the sentences,
- enrichment activities,
- a spelling ladder for the vocabulary words that I list, as every CCSS ELA from 3rd to 8th grade lists spelling - age appropriate,
- a one page graphic organizer for "Following the Mystery's Path" which serves as a summary of the story,
- a word search for names in the novel and a scramble word fill-in,
- three writing topics and the ideas that spark responses from students; one of those writing topics is creative writing,
- a short lesson on using quotation marks for dialogue (and applicable to the creative writing topic above), using quotes from the novel,
- a worksheet to practice proofreading using sentences and paraphrasing from the novel.
Prints well in color or in black and white.
Common Core State Standards - ELA - in this unit: RL 2, 3, 4; RI 3 W 2, 3
The Listeners is another outstanding book to use as a read-aloud during Black History month or anytime while studying the Civil War. Here is a link to my product for that book.
The Listeners, by Gloria Whelan
Other Revolutionary War related novel units I have:
A REBEL AMONG REDCOATS by Jessica Gunderson
GEORGE WASHINGTON'S SOCKS by Elvira Woodruff
THE FIGHTING GROUND by Avi
WOODS RUNNER by Gary Paulsen
Civil War novel units I sell include:
SHADES OF GRAY by Carolyn Reeder
BULL RUN by Paul Fleischman