- Deadly Red offers a little something different in the way of onset and rime (not rhyme)
practice. It has a lovely game play. It has a strategic thinking element PLUS a way of consolidating knowledge of word endings.
What You Need
2, maybe 3 players
1 Deadly Red Game Board
12 counters of one color
1 red counter
Place the colored counters over all the word endings and the red one on the center single letter.
How to Win
The player who forces their opponent to remove the red counter is declared the winner.
How to Play
1. The person with the longest hair goes first.
2. Player One may remove 1,2 or 3 counters from the board then reads the word created aloud to their opponent NB The counters MUST be on the same line.
3. Player Two then does the same.
4. Play continues in this fashion until a player is forced to pick up the red counter.
Before the Game
- Plenty of exploration of onset and rime.
- Use the PowerPoint file to explore the onset and rime used in the game.
- Use the PowerPoint file to discuss the meaning of words used on the game boards
- Deadly Red is a game of strategy and you will find there are 'tricks' you might discover that will help you win every time. Your task is to try and find this strategy. Be warned though, there is a lot of thinking involved :-)
During the Game
- Take notes on which sounds and strategies the students need to have reinforced in future lessons.
- Take note of which students need further challenge and which need easier games.
- Suggest a strategy that works well for you when playing games like this and have the students trial it. Often having students 'evaluate' an idea and see its worth is far more effective than telling them what to do :-)
Words Included in this Game
Board 1 - bunk, back, bank, bake, beat, bore, bash, best, bump, bay, buck, ball
Board 2 - hick, hack, hop, hunk, hay, hide, heat, hip, hill, hall, hate, hump
Board 3 - Jan, Jack, jaw, junk, jay, joy, jest, joke, jump, just, jeep
Board 4 - law, lack, lick, lay, link, lake, late, light, lash, luck, lock, lump
Board 5 - paw, pack, pick, pay, pink, pill, punk, pain, pale, poke, pest, pump
Board 6 - ran, rack, raw, ray, ring, rake, rap, rain, ride, right, rest, rock
Board 7 -saw, sack, sick, sunk, sing, sank, say, seat, sore, sight, same, sock
Board 8 - fought, fetch, finch, feast, fowl, fight, fame, funk, feet, fair, fear, fawn
Board 9 - miss, mud, mug, mock, mess, mop, mum, mix, might, mill, moss
Board 10 - rear, ranch, ridge, rock, rack, right, rain, road, riff, rough, ramp, ring
Board 11 - tick, tint, talk, toll, tell, tuck, tack, tough, tight, tan, tent, tint
Board 12 - wed, wig, well, win, warm, wax, wag, wet, wedge, work, witch, wept
Board 13 - catch, count, coast, call, cage, cold, caught, calm, cuff, cough, coin, could
Included in this Game
13 game boards
1 PowerPoint file of all game boards
1 Set of Rules and Teaching Notes
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)