- This CVC Phonics Card Game is ideal for practising Consonant Vowel Consonant words. It has repeatedly proved itself to be a favourite of my reading groups. The students request it again and again. I like to play it as a warm up or cool down activity.
Words Included in this Game:
- tin, bin, thin, fin, hint, win, pig, pin, kid, lid, mix, zip, dig
- mum, sun, fun, lump, bun, but, tug, rug, cut, sun, tub, bus,
- clap, hat, bad, had, cat,
- hot, top, not, hop, fox,
- hen, wet, red, jet, web
Print and Laminate the Cards
How to Play:
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to the members of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the centre. Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the short vowel sound of the red letter and then the word
e.g. If the card is ‘fin’ the dealer says, ‘i like in fin’
If the card is ‘hot’ the dealer says, ‘o like in hot’
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same medial sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on top of the pile by saying ‘i like in thin’ or ‘i like in tin’.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from the face down pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards ‘clap’, ‘hat’ and ‘had’ they would place down their CHANGE card and say “I’d like to change it to ‘a like in had’”. All the following players must match for ‘a’.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children say ‘o like in hot’ when playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning sessions.
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)