• IDEAL FOR BACK TO SCHOOL!
• Printables and Task Cards
• Thousands of Awesome Mix-and-Match Creative Writing Possibilities
Pick a Prompt is a unique collection of writing prompts with over 1,000 mix-and-match variations you can use throughout the entire school year. The set offers a huge variety of topics to motivate even your most reluctant writers. There are two different formats for your convenience and special needs:
#1 • Mix-and-Match Printables
• On each page in this section, there are four boxes of words: Main Character, Setting, Unusual Prop, and Vocabulary. Students select one word from each of the first three boxes. Whichever person they select becomes the main character in their story. Whichever setting they select becomes the backdrop of their story. They must also incorporate the unusual prop in the story they write.
• The prompts selected were purposely chosen to offer a wide variety of topics to appeal to the diverse interests of your students. Each printable can be used over and over again with students selecting different combinations each time for entirely new stories
#2 • Pick a Prompt Task Cards
• Download the Task Cards, laminate them for extra durability, and cut them apart. You only need to make one set for your entire class. Even though this will take some time, the set will carry you through the whole school year and will provide your students with fantastic combinations of main characters, settings, unusual props, and vocabulary words to use as a motivation to write.
• Separate the Main Character, Setting, Unusual Prop, and Vocabulary Task Cards into four different boxes at a creative writing center. Each set has a different colored border. If you print in grayscale, you can tell the difference among the four categories by the titles and by the number of cogs on each task card.
• Students select one Task Card from each of the four boxes as a springboard for writing. Students underline the two vocabulary words in their stories.
Also included in this set are:
• Guidelines for Good Writing,
• a Student’s Checklist for Writing,
• and a Teacher’s Grading Rubric for Writing.
Pick a Prompt can be used by individual students at a writing center, as a partner activity, or as a whole class writing assignment. Once you start using Pick a Prompt, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it!
Pick a Prompt © 2017 Linda Schwartz • Pizzazz Learning
Cover photo © Bennerdesign Cover border © Gabby’s Classroom
Pencils © HitToon.com Cogs © robodread
Thank you for visiting Pizzazz Learning. As always, I welcome your feedback and comments.
Keywords: creative writing, writing prompts, mix-and-match writing topics, back-to-school, ideas for substitutes
If you purchase Pick a Prompt, please take a minute to rate it to receive TpT credits.
Be FIRST, to learn about NEW products and SALE notices. Click the star in my store to become a FOLLOWER.
Looking for a specific skill or activity? Pizzazz Learning has Task Cards, Printables, and Worksheets for the following:
addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, word problems, multi-step word problems, mental math, number patterns, fractions, money, time, place value, reviews, test prep
adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, verbs, nouns, pronouns, prepositions, subject-verb agreement
context clues, dictionary skills, alphabetical order, contractions, compounds, abbreviations, plurals, lists, proofreading, spelling, punctuation, synonyms, antonyms, rhyming, homophones, prefixes, suffixes, vocabulary, creative writing, reviews, test prep
social issues, U.S. geography, quiz cards, state trivia, U.S. presidents, famous people, famous women, famous men, famous athletes, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, world capitals, state capitals, geography games
birds, plants, insects, human body
superheroes, dogs, sports, fairy tales, kindness, scavenger hunts, mysteries, tolerance, bullies, kindness, word puzzles
Seasons, Holidays, & Special Occasions
beginning of the school year, back-to-school, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Hanukkah, Arbor Day, Chinese New Year, Cinco de Mayo, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Memorial Day, Valentine’s Day, Veteran’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, Independence Day, Earth Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day
early finishers, gifted and talented, quickie quizzes, critical thinking, creative thinking, quotes, phobias