This resource contains everything you need to get going with Story Writing in your classroom using a Picture Prompt.
• Recall story elements and genre features.
• Review and evaluate pictures for a story.
• Use sensory images to move from picture to story.
• Compose a story based on what you perceived in the picture.
1. Tell a story with a clear and engaging opening, with a sequence of events which is easy for the listener to follow, and with an optional setting, characters, and plot that has a sense of closure.
2. Write narratives to develop imagined experiences or events using an effective technique, relevant descriptive details, and well-structured event sequences.
3. Engage and orient the reader by establishing a context and point of view and introducing a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally and logically.
This Resource Includes:
1. Scaffolded Notes -
• Vocabulary Overview
• Thirsty Crow
• Sensory Table
• Genre Features
• Story Template
• Differentiated Tasks
• Word-Bank: Adjective Types, Adverb Types, Connective Types, Active Verbs
2. Real Life Application and Career Options of Story Writing
3. Teaching and Learning Activities/Strategies -
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos
- Lesson Starter – Thirsty Crow
- Success Criteria
- Lesson Development - Pair-Write-Share, Shared Writing, Mini-Plenary
- Individual Task - Differentiation - 5 Tasks
4. Assessment Criteria
- Rubrics - Story Writing
- Plenary - PQP - Praise-Question-Polish
- Skills - Social and Cognitive
5. Home Learning - 6 Exercises
Teachers can use this resource to enhance the writing skills of the learners, especially the technique required to write a story using picture prompts.
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
✿ Early Finishers
✿ Sub Tubs
✿ ESL Stations/Centres
✿ Holiday Work
✿ Small Group Collaborations
✿ End of Unit Quick Assessments
This is what teachers say about these resources:
✎ DIALOGUE WRITING:
This was easy to use. It helped by students to review and fix the errors they were making in their writing. –Beth G.
✎ CAPITALIZATION RULES:
The perfect visual to help students remember to use capitalization while writing." – Mary Z.
✎ ACTIVE VERBS:
This is a great resource to include in the binders for future resources. - Patricia O.
✎ FICTIONAL STORY WRITING:
A great resource for students to practice writing during center. - Jamie S.
✎ NOUN PHRASES:
This product was helpful for my ELD students! – Rae E.
✎ PLAY-SCRIPT WRITING:
Can't wait to use this when I get back. Just love the approach to learning script writing skills. – Kathryn A.
Very excited about using this in my intensive reading classes. – Tammye G.
✎ PREPOSITIONS-10 RULES:
The handouts are perfect for students to use as a reference while writing. – Mary Z.
Great resource for first aid presentations. I'll be using this with my class. - Jackie Malley
✎ COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCES:
These task cards were perfect test practice! - Michelle P.
✎ PUNCTUATION WORKSHEETS:
I found the variety of options to be useful,… I have used it to compliment the areas of focus in my lessons. - Dianne P.
✎ SUJECT-VERB AGREEMENT:
I have used this resource several times already. –Jean C.
This is great. I can't wait to use it with my ESOL students. - Rebecca D.
✎ SEVEN AGES OF MAN:
This was perfect use of imagery and words. It helped even my weaker 6th graders understand the message of the poem and complete an activity on their own. - Amy B.
How to get TPT credit to use for future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to log in). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a FOLLOWER
. You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches.
Find Me Here:
o TPT Store - JOHN DSOUZA
o Pinterest - JOHN DSOUZA
o Facebook - TOMORROW’S CLASSROOM TODAY
o Instagram - JOHN421969
o Twitter - JOHN421969