Jump start your students' problem-solving adventures in Physics (or Math!) with this PIRATE Problem-Solving Pack.
PIRATE is an acronym I created to help my students remember what I expect them to do for every word problem they solve in my class. Teaching problem-solving as a process helps students of all ability levels gain confidence solving any type of problem.
This 36-page PDF from Hoop There It Is includes everything I use as an introduction to problem-solving:
- A Note to Teachers (pg. 2-4)
- PIRATE Guide to Problem-Solving (pg. 5, display in your classroom or copy for students)
- Printable PIRATE Posters (pg. 6-11, display in your classroom)
- Printable Physics “Bookmarks” (pg.12-13, 3 to a sheet to copy and cut for your students)
- Printable Units Cheat Sheet (pg. 14, 2 to a sheet to copy and cut for your students)
- Printable Physics Equations (pg. 15, 2 to a sheet to copy and cut for your students)
- Algebra Pretest (pg. 16-17)
- Bookmark Algebra Practice (pg. 18-19)
- Bookmark Word Problems Practice (pg. 20-21)
- Word Problems Task Cards (pg. 22-31, print and cut for 10 groups, 4 tasks per group)
- Equations and Units Quiz (pg. 32)
- Bookmark Word Problems Quiz (pg. 33-34)
- Physics Word Problems Pretest* (pg. 35-36)
- Physics Word Problems Posttest* (pg. 37-38)
* Pretest and Posttest are great for teachers to use as a Specific Learning Objective (SLO).
Overall, this PIRATE Problem-Solving Physics Pack includes 7 posters, 3 reference sheets for students, 5 assessments, 24 algebra-only problems, and 44 different real-world practice word problems that tie in estimation and unit conversions.