This complete unit is a collection of my PLATE TECTONICS resources
found in my EARTH SCIENCE CURRICULUM - THE COMPLETE COURSE ~ 5E MODEL
and is now being offered as an individual unit for purchase.
– If you have purchased Nitty Gritty Physical Science Bundles in the past, resources from this unit may be included. If so, please use the links below the description
to add only what you need to complete your Plate Tectonics Unit or to see a preview of each resource:
The Plate Tectonics Unit
includes the following main concepts:
• Earth’s Interior
• Convection and the Mantle
• Continental Drift and Sea-floor Spreading
• Theory of Plate Tectonics
The unit incorporates instructional strategies that give students the ability to master these scientific topics
and allows them to:
• Identify characteristics of Earth’s crust, mantle and core.
• Explain how geologists learn about Earth’s inner structures.
• Explain how heat is transferred.
• Identify what causes convection currents.
• Describe convection currents in Earth’s mantle.
• Explain and identify evidence used by Wegener to support his continental drift hypothesis.
• Explain the process of sea-floor spreading.
• Explain the theory of plate tectonics.
• Describe the three types of plate boundaries.
Nitty Gritty Science Units are based on the 5 E MODEL
and include the following resources:
• TEACHER-LED DEMO
that promotes inquiry, illuminates key concepts and, most importantly, leads to heightened curiosity.
• GUIDED INQUIRY LAB
that uses processes that are referred to as inquiry process skills
which include observing, predicting, classifying, measuring, inferring, controlling variables, manipulating materials, interpreting data and experimenting.
• SCIENCE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOKS
use creative activities to motivate students to process information and demonstrate critical thinking.
• EDITABLE NOTES AND POWERPOINTS
prepared by Nitty Gritty Science save you time and help you with presenting a successful lecture. The notes
serve to guide students through the teacher’s presentation and are editable
so you, as the teacher, can adjust the information you want the students to fill in. The editable PowerPoint
helps the teacher present the content in an orderly fashion using visual aids to enhance the presentation.
• SCIENCE STATIONS
provide an engaging way for students to extend their knowledge and skills by working independently of the teacher
in small groups or pairs.
• TASK CARDS
are a collection of review cards to be used for review, such as game-style review, group review, one-on-one tutoring, bell ringers, exit slips, the list goes on.
• CHAPTER TESTS
prepared by Nitty Gritty Science use a variety of item formats that help assess different levels of student thinking and skills.
The items used in the tests include multiple-choice, completion, interpreting diagrams and essays. However, if more would like to be added, all tests are editable.
Cliff Note Version: Product is for ONE TEACHER – Please do not distribute illegally and if using with your students in an online capacity, make sure documents are password protected.
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.