POETRY TERMS TASK CARDS
20% off all Poetry products from March 19- April 30th to celebrate National Poetry month! See Poetry Activities Grades 6-12 custom category.
Poets use a variety of poetic elements to add depth and deeper meaning to a thought or idea in various types of poems.
• They create word pictures with their images, ignite emotions, and make comparisons and contrasts.
• They allow people to experience unfamiliar words and feelings.
• They pull readers into the writing instead of leaving them on the outside looking in.
Teachers crave a plethora of ideas that will
• ignite students' passion for poetry
• enhance students’ understanding of a specific poem type or poetic element
• integrate students' understanding of unfamiliar poem types and poetic elements while reinforcing their understanding of previously taught poetic material, and to
• enable students to use a poem type or poetic element to
a. craft a connection with a literature study
b. provoke them to produce a Warm-Up topic
c. inspire them to integrate the day's class discussions in a Closure activity, and to
d. foster a lifelong love of poetry.
This POETRY TERMS TASK CARDS product is meant to be used through Middle and High School. Teachers begin by choosing what poem types and poetic elements fit that grade level's program of studies, state and/or Common Core Standards, and their own yearly objectives. They may start in 6th grade with basic, and probably familiar, poem types such as Ballads, Haikus and List Poems, and elements such as sensory imagery, metaphors and similes. Each year they can add to students' prior learning with the study of additional types of poetry, poetic devices and figurative language. By integrating the study of poetry as a series of yearly building blocks, students will have the knowledge, understanding and confidence to delve into discussing and writing Italian and English Sonnets, Pindaric, Horatian, and Irregular Odes as well as Conceits, Metonymy and Pathetic Fallacy.
This 42-page product includes:
• 84 Definitions: Types of Poetry, Poetic Devices, Rhythm, Rhyme, and Figurative Language
• 2-4 Examples for each term
• 51 Activities
• 15 Teaching Suggestions with more activities
• Teacher Notes detailing: Who, What, When, Why & How
• Common Core Anchor Standards for Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening & Language, and
• Bloom's Taxonomy verbs for: Remember/Understand, Apply, Analyze, Evaluate & Create
• Student Directions
April may be National Poetry Month, but ELA teachers know poetry should be celebrated every month. These POETRY TERMS TASK CARDS offer teachers the lessons and activities that fete the Poetry literary genre. Here are two more Poetry Products:
Poetry Activity: April Excursions-Poetry in Motion
Poetry Analysis Activity: Poetry on Parade
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day Every Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me green star under my Store Name, Connie.