This Polar Express Unit was just updated in December 2022. Please download it again to take advantage of the new look and additional printables.
Polar Express is one of my favorite units and I hope you love it as much as I do! Polar Express Day and December Fun has all that you need to celebrate Polar Express Day with writing and language arts activities for all of December. BONUS: You'll also receive my Pattern Train and Vehicle Center for FREE!
POLAR EXPRESS AND DECEMBER FUN FOR GRADES 2 & 3. Grab this version if you teach older kids!
Your Polar Express Unit will be complete with everything you need to celebrate Polar Express Day with themed holiday reading, writing, math activities, and centers (for winter) for the days and weeks that follow!
Want a fun craft for the holidays? Grab my Five Snowmen Ornament idea and Poem Freebie here!!
JUST UPDATED AGAIN! 30 additional printables for word problems, coin recognition, addition/subtraction practice, and time!
- 2 Polar Express Day Invitation from the teacher (color and B&W)
- 1 Letter from me explaining how I celebrate the day.
- 3 Polar Express 'Admit One' Tickets- 2 different backgrounds to choose from (B/W option available).
- 2 Polar Express Reminder letter – to send out the day before. (color and B&W)
- 1 Letter from Santa- to go with bells to be handed out (if you choose to get bells)
- 1 PJ reproducible
- 2 Parent Letters for Polar Express Snack- 1 to solicit volunteers and 1 letter to send home requesting snack items
- 1 Conductor hat for the teacher and 2 choices for students (color and b/w)
- Snowman Soup Poem- If you’d like to send home an end of unit treat. Poem explains items that go in a bag which is attached to poem.
- Polar Express Booklet- 16 pages to practice sight words and reading fluency.
- Modified Book with 1:1 word correspondence
WRITING ACTIVITIES: *Some worksheets have modified versions for those requiring more support
- 1 Best Gift Ever Writing Printable*
- 1 Favorite Part Writing Printable*
- 1 Favorite Character Writing Printable *
- Train Craft Sequencing Activity
- 1 Favorite Cookie Response Sheet
- 1 Favorite Part of Polar Express Day Response Sheet
- 4 new Label It! Activities from my best seller,Label It!
- 4 pages (2 choices) of Writing Paper –with and without picture boxes.You can have children write a letter to Santa
- 2 Venn Diagrams- to compare book and movie (lined, unlined)
- 1 Syllable Sort Worksheet- Sort pictures by 1, 2, and 3 syllables
- 1 Picture Sequence Activity- Put the story in order using pictures.
- 1 Sequence Events in Story Worksheet- Printables with spots to write or draw pictures for the beginning middle and end.
- 2 Choices of Character, Setting Events Worksheet-printable with spots to write or draw pictures to show the characters, setting and events.
- Letter order (before and after)
- 10 pages of word problems (5 pages for modified for learners who require pictures and 5 pages of regular problems)
- 6 Pages Shape Recognition Game - 4 game boards, spinners, and instructions
- 7 Addition/Subtraction Sheets (for different levels)
- 2 Telling Time Sheets (hour, half hour)
- 4 Coin identification sheets
- Addition and subtraction printables
- 1 Fraction Spin and Color
- Snowman Bump Games
- 1 Follow Up Shape Printable
- 2 Number Recognition Train Worksheets – Cut and glue numbers in order from 1-10 and 11-20.
- 4 Cut and paste complete the pattern
- 5 One to one correspondence sheets and number recognition
- Number order (before and after)
- 3 Count by 10's, and 2's worksheets
- 2 Color by Number Sheet and color recognition sheet for future use
- Pattern Train Center and Vehicles Product which includes:
- 4 pages of train cars (12 different designs and 4 of each design) in different patterns and colors for students to create endless patterns
- 1 page train car engine to start the pattern
- 1 create your own pattern printable for center (so students can create their own)
- 1 vehicle transportation sort (cut and paste)
- 3 Would You Rather writing activities 2 complete the pattern (cut and paste)
- 3 Greater than/Less Than Printables
- Greater Than/ Less Than - Math greater than and less than sorting center with center sign. 4 Posters to illustrate greater than, less than and equal to. One is illustrated for holiday time.
- 3 Greater Than/ Less Than/Equal to Printables differentiated for all levels of learners.
- Addition and Subtraction Center- Children can choose from 16 Subtraction and Addition Task Cards using either a colored or black and white reproducible Work Mat, and “marshmallow” manipulatives to solve word problems. There are 16 task cards in all (8 addition and 8 subtraction) with sums up to 20. There are also 8 blank cards (4 addition & 4 subtraction) for you to use to fill in the blank number to create your own. You can use these in a center or on an individual basis.
- Colored Number Mats with numbers 1-20 for children to work on one to one correspondence and number recognition. You would also use the marshmallow manipulatives here as well.
- Counting Center- 4 different tasks/choices to order number cards. Center Sign Included.
- Pattern Center- task cards include create a pattern for: AB, ABC, ABB, AABB, AAB, and ABCC. Center Sign Included.
- Odd/Even Sort Center- sort #'s 1-40
- Math Addition/Subtraction Center-'
- 2 color by number sheets
- 1 color word recognition sheet
This is in 2 files due to format of the pages. There are more than 210+ pages in all. This includes some helpful explanation pages to keep the file organized for you. Answer keys for a few items.
Here are just a few of the common core standards that are met through this packet.
Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Read emergent-reader texts with purpose and understanding.
Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
Describe familiar people, places, things, and events and, with prompting and support, provide additional detail.
With guidance and support from adults, recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
Understand the relationship between numbers and quantities; connect counting to cardinality.
Count to 100 by ones and by tens.
Relate counting to addition and subtraction (e.g., by counting on 2 to add 2).
Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Compare two two-digit numbers based on meanings of the tens and ones digits, recording the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, and <.
Please visit my other math products:
Organization of math manipulatives –all grades:
Solving Word Problems Gr. 1-3
Place Value, Greater/Less Than and more:
Pattern Printables and Centers :
HOLIDAY MATH (these include a thematic approach but includes many math activities):
You might be interested in taking a look at my entire EDITABLE Collection: