Are you sick of the old and boring ‘form your own political party’ assignment with no context or meaning?
Do you want to avoid hours of powerpoint slides that don't actually lead to students engaging with politics or issues?
Then this unit will provide you with the opportunity to develop a deep understanding of politics and political issues in your students so that they begin to understand the complexities of governance.
This unit seeks to develop an understanding of current political issues, political decision making and how political parties are formed based on shared values and understandings.
The unit in its entirety is designed to run for around 25 hours of class time. This estimate is based upon providing significant class time for students to research issues and prepare presentations. As such, this estimate could be shortened if some of the unit were to be allocated as homework.
In this unit, students:
• Develop an understanding of political issues
• Present a group oral presentation/speech on a contemporary political issue
• Investigate current political parties (non-country specific) and seek to develop an understanding of their beliefs and values
• Are assisted to understand their own political beliefs and values
• Form their own political party based upon common beliefs and values
• Employ their political party to formulate policies to a simulated country (with a detailed back story), including fully automated economic modelling of their policies including
o -GDP growth
o -Budgetary position
• Produce their own campaign launch, and explain their policies to the rest of the class
• Vote using a variety of optional democratic processes to select the winning political party from the class
The unit includes pro-forma to assist with marking the assignment in an efficient and highly effective manner.
There are over 30 pages of activities and explanations (plus the ECONOMIC MODELLING SPREADSHEET) to make this complex area of the curriculum able to be implemented and understood with relative ease.
Also included is a sample feedback provided to students.
The final assignment in this task is always an engaging, challenging and interesting task that students absolutely love.
OTHER RELATED PRODUCTS FROM FISCH ED
POLITICAL SIMULATION ASSIGNMENT
POLITICAL PARTIES UNIT AND CREATE A POLITICAL PARTY ASSIGNMENT
NEGOTIATION AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION: MINI UNIT
FINANCIAL PLANNING ASSIGNMENT
ECONOMICS INTRODUCTION ACTIVITY - REAL ESTATE AUCTION
INTRODUCTION TO ECONOMICS - MONOPOLY ACTIVITY