If you are familiar with the classroom card game/learning center called SunDeck, then POST will seem a bit familiar. Consisting of category cards (parts of speech) and letter cards, students generate lists of words to match the cards they select.
Directions for POST (Parts Of Speech Time)
1. Each student is to have a sheet of loose leaf paper and a writing utensil.
2. Place a dictionary in the center of the table to serve as a reference if needed.
3. Place a timer in the center of the table.
4. Shuffle the parts of speech cards and place them face down in a deck on the table.
5. Shuffle the letter cards and place them face down in a deck on the table.
6. Each player selects a part of speech card and a letter card and places them face up on the table in front of him/her.
7. Select one player for each round to be the time keeper. He/she is to set the timer for three minutes.
8. The player with the timer will call GO. Each player one has three minutes to write as many words that match the part of speech and letter as possible.
9. When the timer goes off, all players will pass their paper to the person sitting to their left. Players will check each others’ work, awarding one point for each correct word. Use a dictionary to help determine the parts of speech for any unfamiliar or confusing words.
10. Play for a determined amount of time or until every person has had the opportunity to be the time keeper.
11. Winner is the player with the most points when play is completed.