A comprehensive 68-slide PowerPoint
that introduces all major topics in a typical middle school / early high school unit on chemical reactions and rates of reactions.
NOTE: PPT Completely Updated!
This PPT has been completely reviewed and updated from the previous version. Each slide has been examined, edited, and improved in both appearance, stability, and detail. New slides have also been added to enhance the content. Finally, a summary notes document has been added to this product to help students take notes as they view the presentation. I hope you enjoy the new changes!
Part 1 – Physical and Chemical Change
- Review: what is matter?
- 2 types of properties of matter (physical and chemical)
- Review game: Physical or Chemical Property?
- 2 types of changes of matter (physical and chemical)
- Changes of state: physical or chemical change?
- 4 signs of a chemical change (color, energy, gas, precipitate)
- Review game: Physical or Chemical Change?
Part 2 – Chemical Equations
- What is a chemical equation?
- What a chemical equation shows about a chemical reaction
- Parts of a chemical equation (reactants, products, formulas, coefficients)
- Why chemical equations must be balanced
- Antoine Lavoisier and the Law of Conservation of Mass
- How to balance chemical equations (3 helpful techniques)
- Quiz - balancing chemical equations (5 sample equations)
Part 3 – Types of Chemical Reactions
- Introduction: 5 types of chemical reactions
- Synthesis (definition, general format, example reaction, example equation)
- Decomposition (definition, general format, example reaction, example equation)
- Combustion (definition, general format, example reaction, example equation)
- Single Displacement (definition, general format, example reaction, example equation)
- Double Displacement (definition, general format, example reaction, example equation)
- Review: 5 types of chemical reactions (format, sample equations)
- Quiz: classifying types of chemical reactions (5 sample equations)
Part 4 – Rates of Chemical Reactions
- Introduction: what are reaction kinetics?
- What is the rate of reaction?
- What is collision theory?
- Factors affecting the rate of reaction
- Temperature (how it affects the rate, mechanism, diagram)
- Concentration (how it affects the rate, mechanism, diagram)
- Pressure (how it affects the rate, mechanism, diagram)
- Surface area (how it affects the rate, mechanism, diagram)
- Catalysts and inhibitors (how they affect the rate, mechanism, diagrams)
- Summary table: factors affecting the rate of reaction
NEW! Includes Summary Notes Document!
- This PPT also includes a 2-page summary notes
- Summary notes are fill-in-the-blank questions directly tied to each slide, in order
- Notes document comes in 2 formats: a static PDF document
and fully-editable WORD document
PPT Downloadable in 2 Formats:
- This product comes in 2 formats: a static PDF document
and fully-editable PPT document
- Download the PDF preview
to see a sample of the PPT slides from each sectionRelevant NGSS Core Idea(s) Addressed by This Product:
NGSS - MS-PS1.A
Physical Science - Matter and its Interactions - Structure and Properties of Matter
NGSS - MS-PS1.B
Physical Science - Matter and its Interactions – Chemical Reactions
You Might Also Like the Following Unit Resources:
UNIT BUNDLE - Chemical Reactions
PPT - Chemical Reactions
PPT - Jeopardy Game: Chemical Reactions Review
Unit Overview & Key Words - Chemical Reactions Unit
Activity - Physical & Chemical Properties & Changes Sorting Cards (2 Set Bundle)
Worksheet - Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes
Worksheet - What are Chemical Equations?
Worksheet - Balancing Chemical Equations (2 Worksheet Bundle)
Worksheet - What are the Types of Chemical Reactions?
WS - Naming Compounds, Balancing Equations and Classifying Reactions (A Review)
Worksheet - What is Collision Theory?
Lab - Mystery Powders - Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
Lab - Ziploc Bag Physical and Chemical Changes
Lab - Signs of a Chemical Reaction
Lab - Great Steel Wools of Fire (A Conservation of Mass Investigation)
Lab - Double Displacement Reactions
Lab - Alka-Seltzer Rates of Reaction
Lab - The Disappearing X Rates of Reaction Activity
Lab - The Disappearing X Rates of Reaction Activity (Virtual Lab)
Quiz - Balancing Chemical Equations (4 Quiz Bundle)
Quiz - Types of Chemical Reactions
Quiz - Collision Theory
Unit Review - Chemical Reactions
Unit Test - Chemical Reactions
Other Chemistry PPTs You Might Like:
PPT - Classification of Matter
PPT - Solids, Liquids and Gases
PPT - Atoms and the Periodic Table
PPT - Chemical Bonds
PPT - Chemical Reactions
PPT - Acids, Bases and Salts
Connect with More Science With Mr. Enns Resources:
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the Follow Me
next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.