A comprehensive 74-slide PowerPoint
that introduces all major topics in a typical middle school / early high school unit on classification of matter.
NOTE: PPT Completely Updated!
This PPT has been completely reviewed and updated
from the previous version. Each slide has been examined, edited, and improved in both appearance and content. In addition, new slides have been added to enhance the presentation, including new starter and review activities. I hope you enjoy the new changes!
Part 1 - Classification of Matter
- Starter activity: classifying objects and animals
- What is matter?
- Pure substances (elements, compounds)
- Mixtures (homogeneous, heterogeneous)
- Classification of matter flowchart
- Review activity: Element, compound or mixture?
Part 2 - Solutions, Colloids and Suspensions
- Review: What is a mixture?
- Solutions (solute, solvent, dissolving)
- Unsaturated vs. saturated vs. supersaturated solutions
- Tyndall effect
- How to tell solutions, colloids and suspensions apart
Part 3 - Separating Mixtures
- Review: Mixtures are physically combined
- Filtration (residue, filtrate)
- Simple distillation
- Fractional distillation
- Review activity: Which separation technique is best?
Part 4 - Properties of Matter
- Starter activity: state as many properties of an object as possible
- Review of matter
- Physical vs. chemical properties
- Review activity: Physical or chemical property?
- Physical vs. chemical changes
- 4 signs of a chemical change (change in color and energy, formation of gas and precipitate)
- Review activity: Physical or chemical change?
Includes Summary Notes Document:
- This PPT also includes a 2-page summary notes
- Summary notes are fill-in-the-blank questions directly tied to each section and in order
- The summary notes comes in 2 formats: a static PDF document
and fully-editable WORD document
PPT Downloadable in 2 Formats:
- This product comes in 2 formats: a static PDF document
and fully-editable PPT document
- Download the full PDF preview
to see EXACTLY
what you are getting!
Relevant NGSS Core Idea(s) Addressed by This Product:
NGSS - MS-PS1.A
Physical Science - Matter and its Interactions - Structure and Properties of Matter
NGSS - MS-PS1.B
Physical Science - Matter and its Interactions - Chemical Reactions
Corresponding Unit Documents:
UNIT BUNDLE - Classification of Matter
PPT - Classification of Matter
PPT - Jeopardy Game: Classification of Matter Review
Unit Overview & Key Words - Classification of Matter Unit
Worksheet - Classification of Matter Reading and Station Lab Activity
Worksheet - Classifying Matter (2 Worksheet Set)
Worksheet - Solutions, Colloids and Suspensions
Worksheet - Separation Techniques for Separating Mixtures
Worksheet - Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes
Activity - Physical & Chemical Properties & Changes Sorting Cards (2 Set Bundle)
LAB - Separate Sand, Salt and Iron Filings and Comic Strip Activity
LAB - Paper Chromatography With Candy
LAB - Paper Chromatography With Markers
Lab - Ziploc Bag Physical and Chemical Changes
LAB - Mystery Powders - Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
Quiz - Classification of Matter (2 Quiz Bundle)
Quiz - Physical and Chemical Properties and Changes (2 Quiz Bundle)
Unit Review - Classification of Matter
Unit Test - Classification of Matter
Other Chemistry PPTs You Might Like:
PPT - Classification of Matter
PPT - Solids, Liquids and Gases
PPT - Atoms and the Periodic Table
PPT - Chemical Bonds
PPT - Chemical Reactions
PPT - Acids, Bases and Salts
Connect with More Science With Mr. Enns Resources:
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the Follow Me
next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.