'PREFIX GAME' - 'Shout' is a Prefix Game which helps students to understand the meanings of words with prefixes.
This prefix game includes: anti, auto, acro, cent, chron, circ, co, com, con, cycl, deca, dis, extra, hydro, hyper, im, inter, ir, kilo & mega.
What you Need:
an odd number of prefix cards
How to Play:
1. Caller sits facing the two players and shuffles the cards.
2. Caller looks at the top card from the deck and reads out the prefix.
3. The first player to 'shout' out a word containing the prefix wins the card.
4. Play continues in this way until no more cards are left.
5. The player with the most cards at the end of the game is the winner.
6. Players then swap roles and continue to play until each player has had a turn at being the Caller.
NB If a prefix is not known, the Caller reads out some to the words on the card, 'ready for next time'. On the next turn the players compete for two cards (the one not known and the next one).
Before the Game:
- Recap knowledge of prefixes.
- Discuss some of the prefixes contained in the deck.
Shouting out the answers adds a bit of fun to the game but also provides a excellent teachable moment re 'working noise' i.e. How can we modify the game so as to not distract the other members of the class?
NB - This game uses the same cards as my Prefix Bluff
. If you buy one, use the rules in that game to play the second game as well.
- How could this game be converted into a spelling game?
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)