Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This resource contains everything you need to get going with Prefixes and Suffixes in your classroom.
• Define a prefix and a suffix.
• Differentiate between prefixes and suffixes.
• Demonstrate the use of prefixes and suffixes with root words in writing.
1. Use context (a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word.
2. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words based on reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
3. Use common Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
This Resource Includes:
1. Well Formulated, Measurable, SMART Objectives and Outcomes
2. Vocabulary Overview - Prefixes, Affixes, Suffixes, Root Word
3. Flipped Lesson Part - Video - Learning Tips: Prefixes and Suffixes
4. Engaging and Creative Lesson Starter – Affixes as Prefixes and Suffixes
5. Success Criteria - Prefixes and suffixes Checklist
6. Collaborative Group Tasks – Pair-Share, Shared Writing, Think-Write-Share
7. Scaffolder Notes - Prefix Types, Suffix Types
8. Mini-Plenary with Critical Thinking Questions – 4 Online Quizzes
9. Assessment Criteria for Outcome Expectations - Rubrics
10. Differentiated Activities for Level Learners - Writing Task by Outcome
11. Extensions to Challenge the High Achievers - Word Building Game
12. Plenary to Assess Learning Outcomes - Prefix-Suffix Bingo
13. Home Learning for Reinforcement – 10 Worksheets
14. Common Core Standards - ELA-LITERACY.L.6-8.2/4abcd/6
15. Skills to be addressed during the Lesson - Social and Cognitive
Teachers may use these resource to help learners to define, form, identify and discern the appropriate use of prefixes and suffixes.
For the PowerPoint Presentation of the same Lesson you may refer to:
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
✿ Early Finishers
✿ Sub Tubs
✿ ESL Stations/Centres
✿ Holiday Work
✿ Small Group Collaborations
✿ End of Unit Quick Assessments
This is what teachers say about these resources:
✎ DIALOGUE WRITING: This was easy to use. It helped my students to review and fix the errors they were making in their writing. –Beth G.
✎ CAPITALIZATION RULES: The perfect visual to help students remember to use capitalization while writing." – Mary Z.
✎ ACTIVE VERBS: This is a great resource to include in the binders for future resources. - Patricia O.
✎ FICTIONAL STORY WRITING: A great resource for students to practice writing during center. - Jamie S.
✎ NOUN PHRASES: This product was helpful for my ELD students! – Rae E.
✎ PLAY-SCRIPT WRITING: Can't wait to use this when I get back. Just love the approach to learning script writing skills. – Kathryn A.
✎ HOMOPHONES-HOMONYMS-HOMOGRAPHS: Very excited about using this in my intensive reading classes. – Tammye G.
✎ PREPOSITIONS-10 RULES: The handouts are perfect for students to use as a reference while writing. – Mary Z.
✎ FIRST-AID: Great resource for first aid presentations. I'll be using this with my class. - Jackie Malley
✎ COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCES: These task cards were perfect test practice! - Michelle P.
✎ PUNCTUATION WORKSHEETS: I found the variety of options to be useful,… I have used it to complement the areas of focus in my lessons. - Dianne P.
✎ SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT: I have used this resource several times already. –Jean C.
✎ OXYMORON: This is great. I can't wait to use it with my ESOL students. - Rebecca D.
✎ SEVEN AGES OF MAN: This was perfect use of imagery and words. It helped even my weaker 6th graders understand the message of the poem and complete an activity on their own. - Amy B.
How to get TPT credit to use for future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to log in). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a FOLLOWER. You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches.
Find Me Here:
o TPT Store - JOHN DSOUZA
o Pinterest - JOHN DSOUZA
o Facebook - TOMORROW’S CLASSROOM TODAY
o Instagram - JOHN421969
o Twitter - JOHN421969
o Blog - TOMORROW’S LESSONS TODAY