Today started off like any other day. You woke up and ate your favorite pop-tarts then took the bus to school. As you sit on the bus you see a strange object in the floor. You pick it up and it reminds you of something familiar and then it hits you! It looks like a video game of some sort! It says "Press Start", you look around to see if anyone is watching you and you see the coast is clear so you press start! BAM! You are no longer on a bus headed to school! You look around and you see pixelated trees and weird creatures coming towards you! YOU ARE IN THE VIDEO GAME!!!! You have to find a way out! You look around and start to see percent signs, fractions and decimals! You quickly figure out you will have to use math in order to escape! Hurry Quick! Jump over that flower before it eats you!!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing Fractions, Decimals and working with a Percent. This download contains all that is needed to perform an amazing digital breakout in your classroom!
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT!
The TEKS seen in this breakout are:
6.4E 6.4G 6.5B and 6.5C
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to: *** WARNING PLEASE CHECK THESE THINGS BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!! ***
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices. (there have been reported issues while using Ipads with draggable pieces so please keep that in mind while buying)
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.) and you have access to a google drive.
4. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block snotes.com
NUMBERS 3 and 4 ARE VERY IMPORTANT! CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!
To test your school's security settings:
1. Share this "testing site" with your students. If they can see the testing site, then out of domain settings are allowed. Here is the Site: TESTING SITE
2. On the testing site there is a word that is hyperlinked. Students will click on the hyperlinked word and if they are allowed to make a copy of the resource that is embedded, out of domain sharing is allowed.
If both 1 and 2 work, then all of my breakouts will work in your classroom!
Please see the preview file for additional information.
Looking for more 6th grade Math Lessons and Activities? Check out these!
How about 5th grade activities?
Follow Me so you can be notified about my latest resources! (Click the star near the Math Chick icon)
You can also follow me on:
Or email me at email@example.com