This fun project based learning unit involves planning an estate sale. Your students will love using their math and problem-solving skills as they work with decimals, word problems, and writing.
You’ve received a letter in the mail informing you that you’ve inherited an old run-down mansion from a very distant relative. To your surprise, it’s the old haunted Smith Mansion that you and your friends pass by almost every day.
Before you sell the property, you decide to have an estate sale to sell different pieces of furniture. You need to plan for your estate sale and decide what the cost will be for each item to be sold. You will be selling items to your classmates (or another class) so you want your costs to be reasonable. Students will go around to find the best prices so they can purchase each item from the mansion. (And, students can bargain with sellers.) Once an item is purchased, students will turn over the card. Students are given a certain amount of money to spend. Once a student runs out of money or items they need are taken, the student has to stop and add up how much was spent. The unit involves many more activities to go along with the project based learning unit.
Here's a preview for the unit. Haunted Mansion Estate Sale Preview
In this unit:
- Newspaper Ad – Complete the form for a newspaper ad to advertise your estate sale.
- Design a Poster for your Estate Sale
- Questions I Have
- Social Media – iPad
- Items Needed for the Estate Sale
- How to Have a Successful Garage Sale Writing Activity
- Mansion Inventory and Price List
- Student Buyer Sheet – Students take this around and record their purchases.
- Estate Sale Items
- Estate Sale items – Students write short descriptions
- Price Tags
- Word Problems
- Car for Sale – Write a short paragraph describing this car for sale. What are unique features that would make someone want to buy it.
- Draw Your Own Haunted House or color my template
- The Haunted Mansion With QR Codes – Students go on a scavenger hunt to get clues and then complete a story with the clues.
- Use Google Maps™ to get directions to an Estate Sale.
- Additional Ideas (optional activities)
- If your class has a garage sale, interview a representative from a charity or local hospital where proceeds or items will be donated. (optional activity)
- Video Commercial advertising estate sale
- Play Money which can be used for Estate Sale
- Letter to Principal asking permission to host a garage sale (optional activity)
This real-world challenge requires students to use inquiry, critical thinking, and their creative minds during the high-interest cross-curricular activities [math and ELA]. Students integrate digital learning into the project as they investigate and complete their final product.
Please continue to visit my store for more project based learning units.
**Note: Activities can easily be adapted for enrichment or gifted students in other grade levels.
Google and Google Apps are trademarks of Google Inc. © 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Sweet Integrations is not affiliated with and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Google Inc.
Project Based Learning Growing Bundle
Project Based Learning Units
Project Based Learning Essential Elements Posters
Charting Your Way Part 1
PBL Digital Teacher Planner Google Slides™
Open an Ice Cream Shop
Open a Pizzeria
Open a Food Truck
Economics Chocolate Shop
Plan a Community for the Homeless
Save the Honey Bees
Save the Monarchs
Visit Sweet Integrations for more ideas for your classroom!