Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
(TPT FEATURED PRODUCT) Everyone loves ice cream! As your students open their own ice cream shop, they also learn about the history of ice cream, entrepreneurship, and economics. This student-centered PBL unit incorporates collaboration and differentiation by providing student choice. This real-world challenge requires students to use inquiry, critical thinking, and their creative minds during the high-interest cross-curricular activities [math, social studies, ELA]. Students integrate digital learning into the project as they investigate and complete their final product.
This ICE CREAM SHOP PBL unit incorporates 21st Century skills with challenging, engaging, and creative activities.
Students have an opportunity to create their own menu, make their favorite flavor and more. This project can be done collaboratively as a group or as an independent study.
Feedback from a Customer
"This has been my favorite purchase year-to-date. I had to stay behind with students who couldn't go on a field trip, and they didn't feel left out at all. I used it to reinforce close reading skills, context clues, decimal work and research skills. On the last day, we held an ice cream social and presented our projects."
***Teachers, if you want to go digital with this project with collaborative research and organizing the project, take a look at my Project Based Learning Digital Interactive Notebook
In this Unit:
- Learn about the history of ice cream, different shops and creameries. (websites and apps)
- Photos of visit to Amy’s Ice Cream
- Take a survey to learn about favorite ice cream flavors. Graph results
- Create questions for business survey. Record results
- Questions about starting an ice cream shop
- Choose a name, logo and slogan for your Ice Cream Shop.
- Design a store front (use my template or design your own)
- Create your own business plan (company overview)
- Interview an owner or manager of an ice cream shop.
- Create a new flavor of ice cream and describe it.
- Create a new ice cream sundae.
- Design an flyer to advertise your shop. (This can be done on the computer or on a blank sheet of paper.) Make sure to include important info about your shop.
- Design business cards
- Create coupons for your ice cream shop.
- Plan a menu for your ice cream shop. – Students can even create their own design after using this template as a rough draft.
- Inventory (choice of using a spreadsheet)
- Plan social media for your ice cream shop
- Ice Cream recipes
- Use a spreadsheet to take orders.
- Additional ideas
- Build a Sundae Game
Please continue to visit my store for more project based learning units.
>>>If you are interested in sharing photos in action, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In return, you'll receive a FREE product.<<<
**Note: Activities can easily be adapted for enrichment or gifted students in other grade levels.
Visit Sweet Integrations for more ideas for your classroom!