This is a Common Core aligned and differentiated unit that aims to introduce the major thinkers of the Enlightenment, engage students in meaningful debate and substantiate their arguments with text. This project is flexible allowing you to use as many or as little of each element as you wish. This works especially well as a culminating project.
This was sincerely one of the best days of class I have with students and one that really stays with them!
1. Enlightenment Thinkers Debate Project Description for Students=This includes instructions for students, a graphic organizer for research and 6 primary documents from Enlightenment thinkers and a prompt for an essay.
2. Structured Academic Controversy DEBATE rules and procedures=Debate format and guide for both teacher and participants.
3. SAC Rubric=For grading the debate
4. Debate Observation Report=Alternative assignment for students participating in the debate.
5. & 6. Abridged documents for low performing students.
7. Regents based essay and student handout with suggestion options for essay organization
8. Grading guide
Also available for sale on my page is an Enlightenment Powerpoint and review sheet. Neither are necessary for this project, but help to build background knowledge.