I know what you're thinking – "My beginners can't play Pachelbel's Canon!" – but they will enjoy both the simplicity and the challenge of this piece! Everyone will LOVE this version of Pachelbel's Canon – yes, even the cellos! It provides endless possibilities because everyone has the exact same part – you create the canon by deciding who starts and which sections will be used. You can customize it for any group and every student!
This product includes TWO versions of Pachelbel's Canon. The short version is two pages and uses mostly the notes of the D Major scale starting on open D. There are a handful of lower notes and only one high 3 or x4 C#. The long version is three pages and inserts more challenging sections of the original Canon which use more notes outside of the basic D Major scale. Download the free preview to see the full long version!
Included in this download are:
• Parts and score for the short version Canon in pdf form
• Parts and score for the long version Canon in pdf form
• Each version includes an Advanced Violin part which uses the E string as well as violin (violin part matches the viola part), viola, cello, and bass parts
• Editable scores and parts created in Finale PrintMusic 2014 – so you can easily make small changes or create your own arrangement*
One of the reasons this arrangement is great for beginning orchestra is because all parts are actually unison, which makes learning them as a class much easier. You create the canon by staggering entrances, then jumping to the 'last note' at almost any letter. If you want to create parts with added rests and no jumping from section to section, the editable PrintMusic files should make it a quick project!
This arrangement serves as a great teaching tool. You can work on tone and bow control as well as steady beat, subdivision, bow speed, intonation, and independence, just to name a few. Practice sections with everyone together and then mix it up however you like. Stronger students will be excited to play the more difficult sections while everyone benefits from the focus on technique and ensemble.
If you like this product please check out my store
for other great music class materials, and please click on the star under my name to follow me and get alerts for sales and new products!
* I am happy to include editable versions because I know it could be very helpful. Please use them in ways to benefit your classroom and not as a basis for another product.