Paideia Seminar Lesson Plan
Ideas and Values Teacher Name:
Seminar Text Covered: Date of Seminar:
Content-Present relevant background information:
0 Review vocabulary 0 Streamline video clip(s) 0 Websites on the topic
0 Related text 0 Biography of writer/creator 0 Current Events on the topic
0 Give information on the time and place the text/piece was written/created
Process-Prepare participants to participate in seminar discussion by reviewing rules.
1. Reading the selected text is essential in participation.
2. Listen by looking at the speaker, perhaps taking notes, and not talking while another is talking.
3. Speak loud enough for everyone to hear, asking questions as well as making statements, while looking at others.
4. Think deeply about the ideas and values expressed in the dialogue, examining the various perspectives with an open mind.
5. Refer to the text by citing specific page and line numbers and quoting actual passages to support a point of view.
6. Address others respectfully by using others' names agreeing/disagreeing constructively, and making connections to others' comments.
Set a Seminar Group Goal and an Individual Goal
Name of Text:
Round Robin Question
Focus/Analyze Text Details
Personalize and apply the textual ideas.
Post-Seminar Process- Assess individual and group participation in seminar discussion:
0 Exit Slip: Have students individually list at least two themes that were covered in seminar.
0 Partner share "3 +'s and a Wish" (Students state three things that they learned and one thing that they wish they could learn more about.
0 Journal Write
Content- Extend application of textual and discussion ideas:
0 Text connection by suggesting additional books on the topic.
0 Media Center or Computer Lab Research on the topic covered.