Paired Passages Writing Center: Citing Text Evidence in Essays - TEACH Method
What educators are saying
Do your students need to cite evidence across paired or multiple texts? The writing center includes high-interest paired passages on 3 reading levels for both opinion and informative writing, as well as other resources to use in a center and as references in student writing folders.
This unit has everything needed to use the TEACH method for writing essays with text evidence. The TEACH method helps students add important and relevant facts to their essays. The steps are easy to remember, and it helps students organize their thoughts during prewriting. The strategy will work for both opinion and informative texts.
The included texts are written specifically to help students learn the TEACH Strategy. Because they are about high-interest topics, Video Games and Cats and Dogs, it's easier for students to focus on learning the writing process rather than comprehending the text.
The Writing Center includes everything you need to start teaching essay writing with text evidence:
- 2 Opinion Texts on 3 levels (approximately 4th, 5th, 6th grades)
- a Poem
- a Friendly Letter
- an Informational Text on 3 levels (approximately 4th, 5th, 6th grades)
- 2 Informational Graphic Texts (timeline layout and another design)
- Reading Comprehension Quizzes
- Opinion Writing Prompt
- Informative Writing Prompt
- Opinion Writing Rubric
- Informative Writing Rubric
- Answer Key
- TEACH Strategy Student Notes Pages
- Writing Center pieces, both Black & White and Color versions included
- TEACH Strategy Bookmarks
Teachers have so many options with the Paired Passages Writing Center.
- Use the writing center on a bulletin board or a science fair display board. Color and black & white options are included.
- Print copy-paper sized posters to display around your room.
- Print bookmarks with the TEACH strategy for each student.
- Complete a sample opinion essay and a sample explanatory essay using the included paired passages and writing prompts. (Rubrics also included.)
- Student printables are also included for teaching the strategy and for writing the essays.
- Use the 4 opinion texts and 3 informative texts for reading comprehension.
- Use the texts together to teach essay writing with text evidence - use all of the texts or select just two.
Please see the preview for even more information and pictures of this product.
Teachers Love It!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐"This is a great resource; it is well thought out and put together! I am able to differentiate using the resource with students. I can work with small groups while others are working independently. I highly recommend this writing resource!" - Heather C.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐"(I'm a) teacher who just returned to teaching gen ed 4th. My old schools used TEACH method and I loved it. My new schools uses RACE but my kids had difficulty. Introduced TEACH and kids are writing more." - Dayle M.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐"Very good material that helps the students with their citing of evidence in their writing skills." - Adriana A.
Supports Common Core Standards (CCSS):
RL.4.1, RI.4.1, W.4.1, W.4.2
RL.5.1, RI.5.1, W.5.1, W.5.2
Are you looking for more paired passages?
Once your students have practice the TEACH method with the included passages, you will need more paired texts to continue reviewing and improving the writing. Check out some of my other paired passages sets for grades 4 - 6.
- 13 Colonies Paired Passages: Reading Comprehension & Writing Colonial America
- Native Americans: Paired Reading Comprehension Passages & Informational Writing
- Turkey vs Bald Eagle: Paired Reading Comprehension Passages & Opinion Writing
- Environmental Paired Passages Reading Comprehension & Extended Writing
Need more information about the TEACH method?
To learn more about using TEACH, please check out my free video.
Copyright ©️ Amy Mezni
Permission to use with a single classroom only (one teacher).
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this resource.