If we expect students to improve their abilities to read challenging texts, then they must have ample opportunities to engage with them in meaningful, authentic ways. As teachers of literacy, we need to carefully and thoughtfully plan activities to maximize student learning and transfer learning to other disciplines.
Paired Text Studies create instructional conditions to move students to read at advanced levels by scaffolding texts, while focusing on processes of learning, not products.
The goals of the Paired Texts Task Sequences are to provide students with the opportunity to:
• think deeply about texts
• inaugurate new ideas about texts
• synthesize information and ideas presented in texts
• participate in discussions rooted in evidence
• clarify thinking through writing
• write capturing the meaning of both texts
This Paired Text Study is on Muslim Americans. Materials included in this study include:
• "Islam is Peace" speech text by President George Bush
• "Islam is Peace" speech video by President George Bush
• "Young Muslims Are Feeling Strain of Suspicion" by Kurt Semple
• Paired Texts Packet that includes tasks
• Paired Texts Powerpoint
The intention of this study is for students to be "doing" the work. You can carry the study out traditionally or upload the powerpoint to google classroom and students can independently move through the tasks at their own pace.
I hope you find this Paired Text Study as beneficial as I have with my students. I firmly believe all students can achieve at high levels.