Also included in
- Challenge your students to read and write critically with these lessons including all of my popular "Paired Passages" (paired texts). These lessons require students to synthesize their reading and identify central ideas across texts. Each lesson guides them through close readings of texts that vary$25.20$31.50Save $6.30
- These 19 lessons (using 38 texts) require students to use close reading, critical thinking, and analytical writing to help them prepare for standardized assessments. In each lesson, students synthesize their reading, identifying central ideas and themes across texts. With texts that vary by genre,$45.00$71.49Save $26.49
- This bundle includes six of my paired passages lessons appropriate for middle school students. Incorporating a total of 12 texts, these lessons require students to think critically and synthesize their reading, identifying central ideas across texts. Each lesson guides them through close readings o$21.00$23.75Save $2.75
- This thematic bundle for African American History Month includes nine secondary ELA lessons and activities that teach a variety of ELA reading, writing, and grammar skills. Specifically, the bundle includes five paired-text lessons, two nonfiction connections lessons, one speech lesson, and one gram$25.02$31.50Save $6.48
- Are you new to American Literature or tired of boring worksheets? Engage students in real-world learning connections and critical thinking with these lessons and activities for your American Literature Curriculum. This growing bundle is organized thematically and includes a variety of lessons that m$104.99$208.23Save $103.24
- In these three lessons, students compare paired texts that have similar universal themes. These detailed lesson plans will provide you with everything you need to help your students meet Common Core English Language Arts Standards as they make connections between the texts and construct effective co$9.99$12.00Save $2.01
In this lesson, students complete close readings of a speech by Sojourner Truth and poem by Maya Angelou. Then, they synthesize their understanding of the texts and write a short analytical essay requiring them to consider and compare central ideas and themes.
This resource can be used for distance learning with the TpT Digital Layer Tool!
This 20-page resource includes the following:
-explicit lesson plan with identified Common Core ELA Anchor Standards
-contextual reading guides
-think aloud with sample annotation passage
-text of the speech
-links to audio and video versions of the texts
-activity for analysis of allusions
-poetry analysis graphic organizer
-essay writing prompt
-short analytical essay rubric
-key (including detailed responses for all activities and a sample essay)
Please note that to respect copyright, the text for the poem "Phenomenal Woman" is not included. However, a link to an online version of the poem is provided in the lesson.
Incorporating all strands of the Common Core English Language Arts (ELA) Anchor Standards, this "paired passages" lesson encourages students to practice skills in annotation and rhetorical and literary analysis. Students complete handouts with before-, during-, and post-reading strategies, which provide scaffolding for diverse learners. Afterwards, students respond to a writing prompt that imitates the style of a standardized assessment. Whether or not your students will face state tests, this lesson provides instruction for any students needing practice with close reading and essay writing.
With its detailed instructions and samples, this resource would make an excellent lesson for a substitute if you will be out for a couple of days.
Are you interested in a digital version (Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive) of this lesson that includes an instructional video?
Here are additional paired passages lessons for other classic titles:
And here are resources on analyzing poetry and brainstorming for argument writing:
Meaningful and Memorable English Language Arts by © OCBeachTeacher
All rights reserved by author.
Limited to use by purchaser only.
Group licenses available.
Not for public display.