This is a BLACK AND WHITE version of “Pairs of Bears – Cards for Rhyme & Word Family Activities” for those of us who are watching our printing budgets!
What's in this pack?
• 40 teddy bear picture cards (blackline)- featuring 20 different pairs of rhyming words
(Note: you will need to appropriately color the illustration for the word 'red'!)
• 40 teddy bear word cards - featuring the written word corresponding to the picture cards.
Print onto cardstock and cut apart. Laminate for durability if desired.
Let these versatile Teddy Bear Pairs help your students practice the following skills:
• recognizing rhyming words
• identifying word families
• decoding - matching printed words to pictures
The cards can be used in
• Matching and Sorting activities
or to play traditional games such as
• ‘Snap' – 'snap' on the rhyming words
• 'Go Fish' – ask “Do you have a word that rhymes with _____?”
• ‘Memory' - find the rhyming pairs of words; match words to pictures; or, find printed word pairs from the same word family.
Play the games with only the picture cards if your students are working on developing phonological awareness of rhyme. Include the word cards if you wish to develop phonic and decoding skills.
The words depicted on the cards are simple in structure (CVC or CCVC) and, when used with the matching word cards, can be used to introduce your students to the concept of word families. By matching pictured words to the equivalent written forms, students will have the opportunity to discover similarities and differences in sound and letter patterns.
There are 80 different cards in total in this set – this enables you to target and practice specific sound and letter patterns - however, clearly there are too many cards to use all at once when playing games such as 'Memory', so choose the patterns you wish to use and limit the number of cards to a manageable level for your students. [To keep the 'Memory' game moving, I mark the backs of the cards with colored stars (eg. red for the first part of the rhyming pairs, yellow for the second parts, blue for the written equivalents to the pictures); the students know they must turn over, for example, one red star card and one yellow star card when trying to find a pair.]
The following rhyming words are used in this pack:
-an : can, fan, man, van,
-ap : map, cap, tap, clap,
-at : cat, bat, hat, mat,
-ed : red, bed, shed, sled,
-en : men, pen, ten, hen,
-ick : kick, lick, chick, pick,
-ock : clock, block, sock, rock,
-og : frog, dog, log, jog,
-op : mop, top, stop, hop,
-ug : mug, hug, plug, slug.