Students engage themselves in trying out new investigative strategies in an attempt to spread their disease to the entire world using an online game called Pandemic (www.pandemic3.com). Students can choose to become a virus, bacteria, or parasite or they can play as all three and compare the differences! They test predictions and actively engage in learning and applying disease vocabulary in order to win the game. This lesson can be used as an introduction to a study on disease or as an application of knowledge. Through this interactive game students should come away with an understanding of:
1. What a symptom is and how it impacts a disease’s
2. What transmission means and the different ways a disease can
3. What resistance is and the different resistances a disease can
4. How environmental circumstances can make a disease evolve
to have more resistances.
5. What lethality is and how it impacts a disease’s transmission.
6. What disease visibility means and how it impacts a disease’s
7. What choices each person can make to decrease the chance of
getting a disease and what choices a government can make to
keep its people safe from infectious diseases.
After playing the game, students can apply their knowledge to real disease of their choice (or yours) to complete a "Disease Wanted" poster.
Overall Learning Objectives:
1. I know and can apply the following vocabulary words:
symptoms, transmission, resistance, lethality, infectability, and
2. I can describe ways that I, personally, can prevent the spread of
disease and ways that we as a nation can prevent the spread
and evolution of disease.
This file includes:
-Teacher guide to playing the game with pictures of each step
-Student guide to playing the game with pictures of each step
-Vocabulary of important terms with pictures
-Student worksheet to facilitate critical thinking during the game
-Answer key to student working
-Optional "Disease Wanted" poster for students to apply their knowledge when researching a real disease, its symptoms, transmission, resistances, impact on the body, and how to treat/ avoid getting the disease
-Optional proficiency based rubric to use when grading the disease wanted poster. Includes science content, next generation writing and reading standard, and an overall neatness standard.
Other Great Products:
• Phases of Matter Gallery Walk
• Physical Versus Chemical Properties Gallery Walk
• Baby in A Bag: A Differentiated Guide to The NGSS Standard of Heredity
• A Minute In The Life of A Blood Cell
• Life Inside Your Digestive System Creative Writing Assignment
• Build An Imaginary Animal Brain
• The Dastardly Density Deed: A Differentiated Student Guide to Layering Liquids
• Up Up AWAY: Using Knowledge of the Phases of Matter to Launch a Bottle Rocket
• How Do I Know The Flavor Of My Food? An Inquiry Into Your Sense of Smell
• Saving Humpty Dumpty: An Introduction to the Skeletal System
Product download information:
This product download is a digital file. If you need help opening or printing a file, please refer to tech help within TpT
>>>>OR for corrected printing<<<<
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.
**Don’t Miss Out On Teachers Pay Teachers Credits! After reviewing this product, I would love to hear how much you and your students like it!**