Also included in
- This is a bundle of resources on Earth Science for Middle School. Purchase together here and save 20% This resource is designed to meet the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: History of The Planet Earth, Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions, Earth's Materials and Systems, The Role of WaterPrice $36.40Original Price $45.50Save $9.10
- Earth’s Systems Middle School Bundle: This bundle includes the resources for Middle School Science Strand Earth’s System. Students will love these engaging science units that cover all the Earth’s Systems standards for Middle School NGSS. Save 20% by purchasing as a bundle!Units include:hands-on labPrice $51.00Original Price $63.75Save $12.75
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 7th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 7th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 7th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources wPrice $116.40Original Price $145.50Save $29.10
- The Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS. This is a huge resource that addresses the complete NGSS Middle School Curriculum for grades 6th, 7th and 8th grade. All the NGSS standards for Middle School Science are addressed in this bundle. Save 20% by purchasing tPrice $330.24Original Price $412.80Save $82.56
- This is a bundle for 7th Grade: NGSS Integrated Model. This bundle covers the PEs and standards for NGSS for 7th-grade in California and other states using the NGSS Integrated Model. Purchase of this bundle will save you 20% on these science resources. If your state uses the integrated model, you nePrice $99.80Original Price $124.75Save $24.95
- This is a 6th-grade bundle for Earth Science. If you are in a school that divides the strands of science by grade level and sixth grade teaches Earth Science, then you need this bundle! This bundle will save you 20% and will cover all the Earth Science Standards for 6th grade. This includes Earth SPrice $118.99Original Price $148.74Save $29.75
- Do you teach 6th-grade science in South Carolina? This bundle is a year-long set for 6th grade South Carolina based on the South Carolina College and Career Readiness standards. My resources include phenomena, Science and Engineering Practices, and Crosscutting Concepts. Students will love the variePrice $97.20Original Price $121.50Save $24.30
The students will then look at the fossil evidence and try to match up the ancient landmass pieces to see if they can form the supercontinent, Pangea.
Pangea and continental drift are so fun to learn about. Earth's surface has changed over time. Students will use to examine changes to Earth's surface. Students will learn about the theory of Pangea and Continental Drift. Students will enjoy this great hands-on, research-based project to get students thinking about and how they help to .
This unit includes:
- slide show
- QR code research
- printable hands-on activity
- response pages
- lesson plans
- interactive notebook flaps
They will collect evidence from the presentation and their own research using QR codes or URLs. The students will then look at the fossil evidence and try to match up the ancient landmass pieces to see if they can form the supercontinent, Pangea. This activity with fossil evidence is really engaging! All you have to do is print it out and follow the directions.
Students will reflect on the fossil evidence and changes to the Earth's surface in interactive notebook flaps and folds and response pages that get them to think about the pros and cons of Alfred Wegener’s theory of Continental Drift. Students will determine the flaw in Wegener's theory and be introduced to the idea of plate tectonics, subduction, and seafloor spreading. They will understand that materials like rock and earth are being constantly recycled through seafloor spreading and subduction.
This resource is designed to meet the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: History of The Planet Earth, Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions, and Earth's Materials and Systems.
This resource is designed to meet the standard for NGSS Earths Systems:
MS-ESS2-2. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales.
Analyze and interpret data on the distribution of fossils and rocks, continental shapes, and seafloor structures to provide evidence of the past plate motions
Ask questions and analyze and interpret data about the patterns between plate tectonics and:
(1) The occurrence of earthquakes and volcanoes.
(2) Continental and ocean floor features.
(3) The distribution of rocks and fossils.
Standard 7.2.2 Construct an explanation based on evidence for how processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales. Examples of processes that occur at varying time scales could include slow plate motions or rapid landslides. Examples of processes that occur at varying spatial scales could include uplift of a mountain range or deposition of fine sediments.
Science Concepts Include:
Changes to Earth's Surfaces
Past Plate Motions
Want to see more about teaching Pangea and Continental drift?
By Lynda R. Williams
Visit my blog
If you have questions about my resources please contact me email@example.com
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons. This resource is in pdf and ppt format.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please see my other resource for MS NGSS and Utah SEEd: