Thanksgiving is just around the corner!
This Animated Step-by-Step Craft can be used on the interactive white board to guide students through the steps of stuffing and decorating a paper bag to make a turkey centerpiece for their Thanksgiving table.
In addition to addressing literacy and language, this activity also provides a forum for working on colors, shapes, and spatial concepts. Occupational therapists will also appreciate the multitude of fine motor skills addressed in this activity. There is a small icon in the upper left hand corner of the header of some pages that allows classroom staff to display a visual of a real turkey to allow comparison.
This animated step-by-step PowerPoint craft is part of an ongoing series of recipes, crafts and poems designed to serve as a vehicle for reinforcing literacy in the classroom. Although content is primarily designed to capitalize on interactive whiteboard technology, it can also be presented on a laptop as an adult-supervised activity center. In addition to the obvious emphasis on literacy, numerous early math concepts can be easily incorporated as ‘teachable moments’. The series is equally beneficial and engaging for classrooms serving regular and/or special education students. Students learning English as a second language can also benefit from these unique resources.
• The step-by-step text is simple and consistent across activities.
• Steps have been distilled into smaller components to make them less overwhelming for beginning readers and students with special needs.
• Each PowerPoint slide presents a single step with several embedded animations
designed to help all students better understand the step requirements.
• Animations are designed to support and visually reward reading and promote language comprehension.
• Stars appear in the text, signaling when an animation should to be inserted.
• Animations are slow to promote visual tracking in several directions.
• Photos are clear (no background distractions) and uniform across activities, thereby promoting consistent picture-word-text associations.
• Each PowerPoint slide includes an image of the final product thereby providing a constant reminder/reference for what is being assembled.
• Sound effects accompany all key animations to reinforce a deeper understanding of actions and are designed to include individuals who are visually impaired.
• The task of activating animations is typically shared by students (by coming up to the board to tap or by using a remote switch) or can be assigned to a single student undergoing training in switch use.
This file was created using PowerPoint 14.3.5 but appears to function fine on earlier versions of PowerPoint. Please note the downloaded file is a read only PowerPoint Show file (97-2004). It should be compatible with PowerPoint versions 97 to current.
Bloom is committed to providing students and teachers with creative and engaging materials designed to address the Common Core Standards and promote differentiated instruction that is beneficial for all students.