Who knew that NGSS science and McGraw-Hill Wonders ELA could be integrated so easily. This Engineering STEM challenge has your students designing a low cost themed, highly entertaining roller coaster. Students and teachers have a hard time walking away from it.
This packet integrates the NGSS and ELA standards, while incorporating the 21st Century strategies. Roller Coaster STEM Challenge works well with the McGraw-Hill Wonders Grade 4 Unit 1 curriculum.
You will need to save up toilet paper and paper towel rolls before starting this project. Hold a school wide collection and have students bring them in all year round for future years.
Working in cooperative group teams students will be required to build a themed roller coaster out of household items such as toilet paper, paper towel, and wrapping paper rolls, paper plates, and masking tape.
Please see the PREVIEW above for an idea of everything included.
Embedded in this resource are:
• Three reading passages with comprehension questions and answer keys.
• Eight science vocabulary cards and matching flashcards in color and black & white.
• Engineering Design Lab worksheets: 2 different forms (all-in-one or a 2 page spread for more room for writing)
• Teamwork Constraints to guide the cooperative groups through the challenge.
• Loop and track patterns
• Roller Coaster Challenge Rubric
• Four different Certificates for longest run, most creative theme, most turns, and most creative stop
Read what some fellow buyers had to say about this resource:
"This has been amazing! Thank you! Best project hands down this year!"
"Great quality product!"
"My students loved this and it tied in wonderfully with our Wonders reading."
"This is so great. My students loved learning about rollercoasters before building their own."
"My students loved this project!! Great resource!"
Don't forget that leaving feedback earns you points towards FREE TpT purchases.
Also, follow me and be notified when new products are uploaded. New products are always 50% off for the first 24 hours they are posted. It pays to follow me!
As always, please contact me with any questions.
Thank you so much and enjoy,