If you like this transcribed lecture, please help me by leaving feedback. Thank you!
Transcribed, and classroom tested, lecture on Paradise Lost from an award-winning high school English teacher. This lecture is from a senior AP English class and covers:
1. historical info on Milton, including why he was derogatively known as "Our Lady of the Christ"
2. an overview of Book 1
3. why the first sentence of Book 1 is so famous
4. why critics, for hundreds of years, thought Milton had made a mistake when he created Satan.
5. the difference between cartoon versions of Satan, and the one that Milton creates
6. conventions of Epic, and how they tie in with the MTV show Cribs
7. how Milton structured Book 9 to prove that our senses are inadequate in a fight against Satan.
8. Portrayals of Eve
9. Adam as the typical boyfriend
10. Numerous of the subtle acrostics and other literary tricks Milton used in Books 1 and 9.