Write an informative paragraph while creating a hamburger writing craft! Your students will love using this sandwich analogy to build a better paragraph. As they move through the writing process, kids write topic, detail, and concluding sentences on hamburger parts. They then create more parts for elaboration, word choice, and transitions. Expository writing has never been so much fun.
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, these activities are classroom-tested and kid-approved.
Crafting a Paragraph Poster
Teacher Directions – written and pictorial, plus ideas for possible topics
Crafting a Paragraph Sheets
• Writing Detail Sentences – hamburger patties
• Writing Topic Sentences – top bun
• Writing Conclusions – bottom bun
• Elaborating – cheeseburger patties
• Improving Word Choice – ketchup and mustard
• Using Transitions – condiments (lettuce, tomato, and onion)
• What’s on the Menu – example and student sheet for choosing a topic with a strong central message
• Writing Complete Sentences – explanation and sentence checker
• Improving Word Choice – using specific words and replacing overused or passive words
• Adding Transitions – list of transitional terms
• Rough Draft Stationery
• Varying Sentences – five ways to vary sentences
• Modeling Sheets
Steps for the Craft:
• Create a menu of ideas then choose the topic with the strongest central message.
• Write detail sentences on hamburger pieces.
• Write a topic sentence on the top bun.
• Write a conclusion on the bottom bun.
• Elaborate with details and/or examples; write on cheeseburger pieces.
• Improve word choice by using more specific terms, synonyms, and active verbs; write on ketchup and mustard pieces.
• Choose relevant transition terms; write on condiments.
• Color and cut all pieces.
• Arrange pieces on construction paper to build the sandwich. Glue.
Steps for Writing the Paragraph:
• Use sandwich craft to write a rough draft.
• Combine similar sentences.
• Vary sentence beginnings.
• Write a final draft.
NEW: A video and poster set
for modeling the process of building a paragraph is now available. In less than twelve minutes, your students will see how to craft a better paragraph.
Writing paragraphs has never been so much fun!
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT
Sandwich clip art was created by Educlips
; fonts by Kimberly Geswein
I'm committed to continual improvement. This resource was updated on August 8, 2018.