Get ready for standardized writing assessments and improve your students' writing a little at a time week over week! Excellent, challenging prompts for high school level!
This is a classroom-tested set of 20 prompts in all three modes
that require citing from a text. The stimuli and prompts are of various levels and 100% editable PPT format, which means you can tweak and change them up as needed. Additionally, this resource provides you two, flexible options for you to implement this paragraph of the week program: Option #1 are the projectable prompts and Option #2 is the printable writer's notebook. I've also included a daily task outline to use in order to build on the paragraph-writing process each day - if you want to do it that way. This a really a one-stop, flexible resource for implementing a text-based daily writing program, paragraph of the week, or writer's notebook.
1) Two formats of the projectable prompts: PDF and PPT
2) Two formats of the printable writer's notebook: PDF and PPT. This option is perfect if you are a paperless school because these editable files can be shared in secure online classrooms very easily!
3) Each prompt is completely originally written and classroom tested
4) The stimuli for each prompt is included (literature, images, info texts) - a few are the links to the stimulus - No arbitrary, over-used prompts here!
5) several of the prompts have student responses as samples
6) RACE mnemonic strategy with color coding, which is great for differentiating - My approach is a little different because it actually takes a writer from the beginning of a paragraph to the end, rather than just what to do in the middle. Therefore, it can be expanded to an entire essay. You can use this method
or one of your own!
6) A few optional slides for introducing, teaching, and practicing the RACE strategy
7) Daily plan for writing each day in two formats: PDF and PPT
8) Classroom poster for the daily plan
9) Rubric for easy grading
7) Common Core standards
Need a way to track data? Want students to self-monitor?
Add my Student Data Tracking Pack
to use with these weekly writing tasks.
See more ready-to-go writing resources!
Cyberbullying Argumentative Prompt
Paid for Grades Argumentative Prompt
Obesity Argumentative Prompt
Gun Control Argumentative Prompt
MLK Argumentative Prompt
Duck Dynasty Explanatory Prompt
Zoo Dangers Explanatory Prompt
Fear Narrative Prompt
Choices Narrative Prompt
Imaginative Narrative Prompt
Summer Memoir Narrative Prompt
MLA Research Bundle
Classroom success stories from teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "I am SO happy with this purchase! Excellent for building text-based writing skills and test prep! Thank you!"
♥ "Impressive resource! I started using your products several weeks back, and I've already seen an increase in test scores and grades. I just started working on the RACE strategy with my students; hopefully, we will see an increase on writing test scores! Thank you."
♥ "Every Julie Faulkner product is superb. Extremely well put together, excellent content and successful with all students. I have incorporated this with our daily work and I am seeing results."
♥ "I love this weekly exercise. The focus on writing one good paragraph is an important building block. Too often we ask for longer pieces, and the students continue to concentrate on quantity rather than quality."
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches.
Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME
. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Faulkner's Fast Five Blog
Julie Faulkner Photography on Instagram
Julie's Classroom Stories on Facebook
Teaching Tidbits Newsletter with Email-Only Freebies