Products in this Bundle (2)
Get ready for standardized writing assessments and improve your students' writing a little at a time week over week! With this traditional and digital paragraph of the week resource, you'll have one year's worth of no-prep, excellent, challenging prompts for middle school level!
What is a text-based prompt? Text-based prompts require students to cite from at least one text in their written response, and this format is popular on many current standardized tests. The prompt itself is derived from the content and/or topic of that provided stimuli. The texts included here along with these prompts are simple yet dense enough to serve students well in writing a complete paragraph with citations. The stimuli are also taken from a variety of genres including fiction, nonfiction, info texts, poetry, video links, and pictures so as to give your students as much exposure as possible.
Why the paragraph of the week formula? Writing pedagogy shows that when students engage with a text more than once with a meaningful purpose each time, their comprehension is much stronger. Additionally, when a writer revisits his/her manuscript more than one time, both the final outcome and the writer become stronger. Each day the students will work to write and polish one constructed response paragraph per week. Then you will be able to grade it quickly and easily with the provided rubric. Students even have a place to self-reflect so that the entire writing process is complete each week.
Is it flexible?This is a BUNDLE of 36 prompts in all three modes that require citing from a text. The stimuli and prompts are of various levels and 100% editable PPT format, which means you can tweak and change them up as needed. Additionally, this resource provides you two, flexible options for you to implement this paragraph of the week program: Option #1 is the projectable prompts and Option #2 is the printable and digital writer's notebook. I've also included a daily task outline to use in order to build on the paragraph-writing process each day - if you want to do it that way. This a really a one-stop, flexible resource for implementing a text-based daily writing program, paragraph of the week, or writer's notebook.
1) Two formats of the projectable prompts: PDF and PPT
2) Three formats of the printable writer's notebook: PDF, PPT, and Digital for Google. This option is perfect if you are a paperless school because these editable files can be shared in secure online classrooms very easily!
3) Each prompt is completely originally written and classroom tested
4) The stimuli for each prompt is included (literature, images, info texts) - a few are the links to the stimulus - No arbitrary, over-used prompts here!
5) several of the prompts have student responses as samples
6) RACE mnemonic strategy with color coding, which is great for differentiating - My approach is a little different because it actually takes a writer from the beginning of a paragraph to the end, rather than just what to do in the middle. Therefore, it can be expanded to an entire essay. You can use this method or one of your own!
7) A few optional slides for introducing, teaching, and practicing the RACE strategy
8) Daily plan for writing each day in editable format
9) Classroom poster for the daily plan
10) Rubric for easy grading
11) Common Core standards
12) Access to a free online support group for teaching writing
Perfect for extended class periods, bell ringers, writing workshops, writing centers, reinforcement, RTI, extra practice, homework, or as part of your regularly scheduled class period! Any subject can benefit from this program, and any teacher - writing experience or not - can implement it easily because of the simple and no prep format I've prepared.
Classroom success stories from teachers who have tried this resource:
♥ "I am SO happy with this purchase! Excellent for building text-based writing skills and test prep! Thank you!"
♥ "Impressive resource! I started using your products several weeks back, and I've already seen an increase in test scores and grades. I just started working on the RACE strategy with my students; hopefully, we will see an increase on writing test scores! Thank you."
♥ "Every Julie Faulkner product is superb. Extremely well put together, excellent content and successful with all students. I have incorporated this with our daily work and I am seeing results."
♥ "I love this weekly exercise. The focus on writing one good paragraph is an important building block. Too often we ask for longer pieces, and the students continue to concentrate on quantity rather than quality."
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration: