Here is a smart, differentiated way to teach the concept. Many students have not mastered the very simple language arts concept of parallelism (or parallel structure). This product is designed for you to spend a few minutes for several days teaching parallelism (anywhere from about 10-30 minutes each day, depending on the resources and your students' needs). Aligned with ACT Quality Core and Common Core State Standards, this packet contains the following resources:
1) Examples and Non-Examples PowerPoint with Exit Slip
2) Worksheet with non-examples pointed out in bold, to students make corrections.
3) Worksheet without any prompts.
4) Partner Worksheet (you can time this and make it a whole-class partner challenge).
5) Parallel Punctuation
6) Parallelism Web Project
7) Parallel Sentence Structure Quiz
Each contains a key with correct answers.
I recommend this packet for a week's worth of short mini-lessons (then assessment on 5th or 6th day). At this point, you'll know which students understand the basic concept, and which need RTI. However, it's not necessary to teach these lessons for five consecutive days. Fit it into your schedule as you choose.
Middle school (junior high) grades 6-8, high school (secondary) 9-10. RTI resource for 11-12.
Categorized List of Products for You and Your Students to Love:
1. Making Inferences with Great Photographs and Short Reading Passages
2. Making Inferences with Great Photographs and Short Reading Passages 2
3. Making Inferences with Art
4. Explicit and Inferred Meanings Graphic Organizer
5. Five-Minute Inference Passage
Summary, Main Idea, Paraphrasing
1. Differentiated & Fun Lesson in Summarization Skills
1. Literary/Poetic Devices "Tab-shoo"
2. Literary Elements "Tab-shoo"
3. Characterization: Character Portrayal Game
4. "Name That Tone" - Author's Tone Game
5. Hangman Template (a step-by-step easy approach to the process of the game)
1. Creative Writing with Art Prompts
2. Create-Your-Own-Character Mini-Unit - Creative Writing
1. Drop Out Facts and Statistics with Student Goal-Setting and a Persuasive Letter Prompt (persuade a friend not to drop out) - Includes Cause-Effect-Solution Graphic Organizer
2. Irish Culture Informational Reading Mini-Unit (not just for St. Patrick's Day)