Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Paraphrase, Quote, Summarize: Teach your students how to paraphrase, quote, and summarize text with this mini-unit. Your students will learn the differences between paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing, and when to use each one in their writing.
There are two different files in the zipped download.
- An editable, 27 slide PowerPoint
- A PDF document with supplementary materials, classroom activities, and student reference sheets.
The PowerPoint teaches students about paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing. The PowerPoint includes color-coded examples for how to properly introduce and cite a quote and a quick quiz at the end of the presentations to check student understanding.
The supplementary material includes:
- A standards-based unit outline that includes instruction for 3+ days
- Three informational text activities to help enhance students' paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing abilities
- A full-text informational passages (The Gettysburg Address and the Preamble to the US Constitution)
- An excerpt text handout from President Barack Obama's first inaugural address with a link to the video and full text version
- Two helpful student handouts that can be used all year long
Going digital? The COMBO lesson also includes interactive Google Slides!
*****This resource is included in THREE different bundles*****
Other research and explanatory writing lessons that might interest you:
Keywords: CCSS, common core, informational texts, informational text, information text lesson, Ethos, Pathos, Logos, Argumentative Writing Unit, Argument Writing, Argument Essay, Argumentative Essay