Paraphrasing, Quoting, and Summarizing: A Unit on Informative Writing
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This Research Paper Writing Unit Bundle includes five and resources to help make teaching resource paper writing a breeze. This research writing unit includes lessons on paraphrasing, quoting, summarizing, 9th edition MLA format and citations, research paper writing, and academic vocabulary. This RePrice $23.50Original Price $32.25Save $8.75
- This writing unit includes 15 of my best writing resources including research paper writing, argument writing, narrative writing, informative writing, and more! This is perfect for the secondary ELA classroom. This writing mega bundle contains all of the writing resources, teaching materials, assignPrice $76.40Original Price $95.50Save $19.10
- This secondary English curriculum includes enough materials for an entire year’s worth of high school and middle school English instruction. This includes resources for reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary, and more!**These resources are sold as PowerPoint presentations for instruction and securedPrice $239.99Original Price $405.92Save $165.93
- Teach your students how to properly paraphrase, quote, and summarize text with both interactive Google slides and direct instruction with an editable PowerPoint presentation. The digital SMARTePlans version includes: - ePlan teacher instructions (GoogleDrive and Microsoft OneDrive) - a link to 14Price $9.99Original Price $12.00Save $2.01
- If you are looking for resources for an entire year of middle school ELA or high school English, this secondary ELA curriculum is for you! This English Curriculum includes both traditional print and editable digital files to help you plan your best year yet!This ELA curriculum is ideal for grades 7-Price $349.99Original Price $567.70Save $217.71
Help your students improve their writing by focusing on three key skills: paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing. This unit that teaches students how to paraphrase, quote, and summarize text in their own writing will help students add more variety to their essays. In this informational writing mini-unit, your students will learn the differences between paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing, and when to use each one in their writing.
There are two different files in the zipped download.
- An editable, 27 slide PowerPoint
- A PDF document with supplementary materials, classroom activities, and student reference sheets.
The PowerPoint teaches students about paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing. The PowerPoint includes color-coded examples for how to properly introduce and cite a quote and a quick quiz at the end of the presentations to check student understanding.
The supplementary material includes:
- A standards-based unit outline that includes instruction for 3+ days
- Three informational text activities to help enhance students' paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing abilities
- A full-text informational passages (The Gettysburg Address and the Preamble to the US Constitution)
- An excerpt text handout from President Barack Obama's first inaugural address with a link to the video and full text version
- Two helpful student handouts that can be used all year long
Going digital? The COMBO lesson also includes interactive Google Slides!
SMARTePlans Paraphrasing, Quoting, & Summarizing (Digital Google & Traditional)
Other research and explanatory writing lessons that might interest you:
Introduction to Research Writing: a CCSS aligned mini-unit (grades 7-12)
Annotating Text Made Easy - CCSS aligned