This writing unit includes the following:
1. Background Information - Turkey Pardoning by U.S. Presidents
2. Persuasive Writing Prompt: Write a letter to the President of the United States asking him to spare your life by suggesting a different plan for a Thanksgiving meal.
3. Graphic Organizer
4. Sample of a completed graphic organizer that can be shared with your students. This can be used as a guide to help them with the format and give them ideas.
5. Letter Template
6. Sample of a completed letter that can be shared with your students. This can be used as a guide and help them with ideas.
7. Persuasive Writing Phrases - This contains suggested phrases to help your students be more persuasive when writing. You could print this as a poster to keep at your writing station.
8. Persuasive Writing Checklist - This is helpful to keep students on track and to let them know the scoring criteria.
9. Culminating Activity - Oreo Gobblers
To celebrate writing efforts, students can create and eat these adorable turkeys made from oreos, peanut butter cups, malted milk balls, and candy corn.