These 3 speaking activities are designed to foster cooperative learning and communication among your beginner learners of French in a very enjoyable and engaging way.
This document has 63 different cards containing questions about preferences. Every question is structured in the following way: "Quel est ton ... préféré?" or "Quelle est ta ... préférée?" For example: Quel est ton livre préféré? Quelle est ta boisson préférée?". Students may answer the questions with a simple "C'est ...".
There are 3 different ways to use the cards:
1) Quiz quiz trade (or task cards)
2) Fan and Pick
(Disclaimer: the first two activities have been inspired by the Kagan's Quiz Quiz Trade (also know as Task Cards) and Fan and Pick structures.)
Activity #1 “Quiz quiz trade” (or task cards)
1) Print as many cards as there are students in your class so that each student gets at least one card. If you wish to have all the cards in the rotation, distribute all the 63 cards evenly among students.
2) Cut the cards and laminate them for durability.
3) Distribute one card (or more) per student.
4) Students have to get up, pair up with another student, complete the task of the card, exchange cards with their partner, pair up with another student and repeat the activity again as many times as you see it fit.
Activity #2 “Fan and Pick”
1) Divide your students in groups of 4.
2) Give each group a stack of 12 cards.
3) Student #1 holds all 12 cards in a fan and says “Pick a card” (or “Choisis une carte”).
4) Student #2 picks a card and reads the questions aloud, one at a time (so that student #3 has the time to answer)
5) Student #3 answers the question.
6) Student #4 listens to the answers, corrects them if necessary and then praises. (Chouette! Très bien! Excellent!)
7) Students rotate roles, one person clockwise for each new round.
***This activity can be done in pairs. Student #1 fans; Student #2 picks and reads; Student #1 answers; Student #2 listens and praises; students switch roles.
***if you think your students might forget their roles, print or project the “Fan & Pick” mat from the next slide.
Activity #3 “Interview”
1) Divide your students in groups of 2.
2) Give each group a stack of X number of cards (as many or as few cards as you wish). For example, if you have a class of 14 students, you will divide them in 7 groups of 2, giving each group 9 cards so that all 63 cards are in use.
3) Student #1 interviews his partner asking questions from the cards. Student #2 answers. Then they switch roles.
You feedback would be greatly appreciated and it will earn you some TpT store credit that can be used for future purchases.
If you wish to have an editable version of this document, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org