Insert these templates into a transparent sleeve or a clear page protector to create a reusable resource for students when teaching the partial products method of multiplication.
How to use:
Prep: Print out the resource and put into a transparent sleeve. I prefer to use a different color paper for each one, one color for 1-digit by 2-digit, another color for 1-digit by 3-digit and another color for 1-digit by 4-digit. This made it easier for me and the students to immediately know which template to use.
1) Write the 1-digit by 2//3/4-digit multiplication problem in the top box. (For example: 5 x 124)
2) Write the multi-digit factor in expanded form in the box below where it says "Expanded Form." (For example: 100 + 20 + 5)
3) Using the distributive property write partial product equations for the multiplication problem in the boxes below. (For example: 5 x 100, 5 x 20, 5 x 4)
4) Write the product of each problem in the space to the right, being sure to place each digit in the correct place value. (For example: 500, 100, 20)
5) Add the partial products together to get the answer. (For example: 500 + 100 + 20 = 600)