This document includes directions on how to play the game and 2 posters to remind students of the steps (either 2-digit or 3-digit addition).
Have each small group of students sit one behind the other in a line. Give the first student in each line a whiteboard with a dry-erase marker. Then post two problems and guide each group to follow the steps below. When the board reaches the end of the line, the final child takes it back to the first child to continue the race. The first group to finish both problems correctly wins!
1. The first student in line records the problem and passes the board and marker to the next student.
2. The second student does the first step of the problem and adds the tens. Then they pass the board and marker to the next student.
3. The third student does the second step by adding the ones. Then they pass the board and marker to the next student.
4. The fourth student adds the partial sums together to get the answer and passes the board and marker to the next student.
5. The last student checks the problem's answer and holds the board up in the air to show that their team is finished.
6. All students stand up and move one chair back, while the student in the back comes up to the front to play another round.
* Play with numbers in the hundreds by having the second player add the hundreds, third player adds the tens, fourth player adds the ones, and fifth player adds the partial sums, checks the problem and holds up the board