Also included in
- This organized, carefully-designed bundle of literacy centers for first grade is a complete system that will help you teach independence AND engage kids in meaningful literacy practice activities. When you use this bundle, you can FINALLY stop the endless search for literacy centers and have all youPrice $77.00Original Price $110.00Save $33.00
This partner reading resource for first grade includes lesson plans, printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
This resource provides an organized system for managing your partner reading center. The materials will help you teach independence AND engage your first grade students in meaningful literacy activities like:
- Reading or pretend reading with a partner (echo reading, choral reading, etc.)
- Playing “Word Detective”
- Retelling stories with craft stick puppets
- Putting the lines of a nursery rhyme or poem back in order
- Rehearsing and putting on simple Readers’ Theatre shows
- Playing “I Spy” with letters, sounds, spelling patterns, and parts of speech
- Going on a “Text Safari” to find text features, punctuation marks, parts of speech, contractions, or compound words
- Using spinners or cubes to ask and answer questions about a book
- Reading familiar text and rating each others’ fluency
The materials are designed so that students read a book or other text together and then do a follow-up activity with the text.
These materials are flexible and can be used many different ways, regardless of how you structure independent work time in your classroom. Students do NOT have to know how to read in order to learn from and enjoy these activities!
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task when they read together
- Get your students to interact with text and practice literacy skills in meaningful, developmentally-appropriate ways
- Stop boredom and disengagement with a variety of flexible, fun materials
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget how to do each activity
- Have different options for holding students accountable
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for literacy centers activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You do not want to incorporate partner work into your literacy centers or independent work time
- You only use worksheets as independent work (all activities do have an optional recording sheet, however)
Here’s what’s included:
- 18 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for partner reading
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your partner reading center activities throughout the year
- A lesson plan, printable materials, suggestions for differentiation and changing up the center, and kid-friendly directions cards with text and pictures for EVERY activity listed below
- 496 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
- Word Detective: includes printable cards with different types of words students can search for (plus blank ones that you can use to specify certain sight words or other word patterns) and a recording sheet
- Prop or Puppet Retelling: includes printable materials for making craft stick puppets for 11 popular fairy tales + other people and animals
- Rereading with Character Voices: includes printable materials and speech bubble cards to help students decide how each character should sound
- Ordering Rhymes or Poems: includes 16 printable nursery rhymes on strips that students can put in order and write down
- I Spy Games: includes 5 different “helper cards” that guide students in playing I Spy to practice spelling patterns, word features, word meanings and opposites, and parts of speech
- Question Spinners or Cubes: includes 4 spinners and 4 cubes with simple comprehension questions (with picture support) that students can ask and answer together
- Text Safari: includes 13 different, leveled text safari sheets that give students practice finding text features, punctuation marks, parts of speech, contractions, or compound words in text
- Rereading for Fluency Activities: includes a fluency feedback rubric that students can use to help each other improve their reading fluency
- Sticky Note Activities: includes lessons and supports to help students practice different comprehension strategies (predicting, retelling, monitoring comprehension, and asking questions) with sticky notes while they read together
- Readers’ Theatre Activities: includes 8 different scripts, each designed for 2 readers
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for first grade? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for 1st grade HERE!