This partner reading resource for Kindergarten includes lesson plans, printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
This resource provides an organized system for managing your partner reading center. The materials will help you teach independence AND engage your Kindergarten students in meaningful literacy activities like:
- Reading or pretend reading with a partner (echo reading, choral reading, etc.)
- Playing “Letter Detective” or “Word Detective”
- Retelling stories with craft stick puppets
- Going on a “Word Safari”
- Putting the lines of a nursery rhyme back in order
- Going on a “Punctuation Mark Scavenger Hunt”
- Using a highlighter to mark up rhyming words, word patterns, and other features in poems
- Using spinners or cubes to ask and answer questions about a book
- Creating simple riddles for each other
The materials are designed so that students read (or pretend-read) a book or other text together and then do a follow-up activity with the text.
These materials are flexible and can be used many different ways, regardless of how you structure independent work time in your classroom. Students do NOT have to know how to read in order to learn from and enjoy these activities!
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task when they read (or pretend-read) together
- Get your students to interact with text and practice literacy skills in meaningful, developmentally-appropriate ways
- Stop boredom and disengagement with a variety of flexible, fun materials
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget how to do each activity
- Have different options for holding students accountable
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for literacy centers activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You do not want to incorporate partner work into your literacy centers or independent work time
- You only use worksheets as independent work (all activities do have an optional recording sheet, however)
Here’s what’s included:
- 18 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for partner reading
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your partner reading center activities throughout the year
- A lesson plan, printable materials, suggestions for differentiation and changing up the center, and kid-friendly directions cards with text and pictures for EVERY activity listed below
- 432 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
- Letter Detective or Word Detective: includes printable cards, editable cards you can use for your own sight words, and recording sheet options
- Prop or Puppet Retelling: includes printable materials for making craft stick puppets for 11 popular fairy tales + other people and animals
- Rereading with Character Voices: includes printable materials and speech bubble cards to help students decide how each character should sound
-Word Safari: includes a recording sheet and variations for how students can search for words
- Ordering Rhymes or Poems: includes 12 printable nursery rhymes on strips that students can put in order and write down
- Punctuation Mark Scavenger Hunt: includes printable cards and recording sheets to have students search for punctuation marks in text
- Partner Riddles: includes simple, structured templates to have students make up riddles for each other about the text they read together
- Reread and Mark Up: includes 10 original poems that students can read together and highlight (letters, sight words, spelling patterns, rhyming words, punctuation marks, etc.)
- Question Spinners or Cubes: includes 2 spinners and 2 cubes with simple comprehension questions (with picture support) that students can ask and answer together
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for Kindergarten? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for Kindergarten HERE