This partner reading resource for second grade includes lesson plans, printable activities for all year long, and kid-friendly directions!
This resource provides an organized system for managing your partner reading center. The materials will help you teach independence AND engage your second grade students in meaningful literacy activities like:
- Reading with a partner in different ways (echo reading, choral reading, taking turns, etc.)
- Playing “I Spy” with spelling patterns, parts of speech, and vocabulary in context
- Reading familiar text and rating each others’ fluency with a rubric
- Using spinners or cubes to ask and answer questions about a book
- Practicing comprehension strategies together, using sticky notes
- Rehearsing and putting on simple Readers’ Theatre shows
- Playing vocabulary and comprehension games, using text they read together
The materials are designed so that students read a book or other text together (or part of a text) and then do a follow-up activity.
These materials are flexible and can be used many different ways, regardless of how you structure independent work time in your classroom.
This resource is for you if you want to:
- Teach your students to stay on task when they read together
- Get your students to interact with text and practice literacy skills in meaningful, developmentally-appropriate ways
- Stop boredom and disengagement with a variety of flexible, fun materials
- Easily differentiate activities to meet a range of needs
- Give your students kid-friendly directions so they don’t forget how to do each activity
- Have different options for holding students accountable
- Get organized with a schedule for introducing materials throughout the year
- Stop spending hours searching for literacy centers activities - and have everything you need in one place!
This resource may not be for you if:
- You do not want to incorporate partner work into your literacy centers or independent work time
- You only use worksheets as independent work (all activities do have an optional recording sheet, however)
Here’s what’s included:
- 16 lesson plans to teach procedures and routines for partner reading
- An editable schedule you can use to plan your partner reading center activities throughout the year
- A lesson plan, printable materials, suggestions for differentiation and changing up the center, and kid-friendly directions cards with text and pictures for EVERY activity listed below
- 361 total pages of materials (carefully organized into separate, smaller files, with an instructions video and photos)
- I Spy Games: includes 6 different “helper cards” that guide students in playing I Spy to practice spelling patterns, word features, synonyms and antonyms, parts of speech, and prefixes/suffixes
- Rereading for Fluency Activities: includes a fluency feedback rubric and a “Punctuation Police” activity that students can use to help each other improve their reading fluency
- Text Scavenger Hunt: includes 16 different, leveled text safari sheets that give students practice finding text features, parts of speech, contractions, compound words, prefixes, and suffixes
- Question Jars or Spinners: includes 40 question strips and 4 spinners with simple comprehension questions (with picture support) that students can ask and answer together
- Sticky Note Activities: includes lessons and supports to help students practice different comprehension strategies with sticky notes while they read together
- Readers’ Theatre Activities: includes 8 different scripts, designed for 2 or 4 readers (students can easily double up on roles for the 4-character scripts)
- Vocabulary Activities: includes 5 poems for a synonym activity, and 5 passages for a cloze reading activity
- Conversation Games; includes templates for 3 games (10 Questions, 2 Facts and a Fib, and Would You Rather) that students play with the text they read together
Please view the FREE preview file before you purchase! I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have in the Q&A section or at Alison@learningattheprimarypond.com.
Looking for more literacy center activities for second grade? Read about my complete literacy centers bundle for 2nd grade HERE
For a kindergarten version of this product, click HERE
! For a 1st grade version of this product, click HERE